iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Different tire size

Started by EZ, April 12, 2004, 06:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

My truck had 31 inch dia tires on (factory size). I put 30 inch dia on today, to try and get a little more low end tork. Would my speedometer read faster or slower.
EZ

Kevin

beenthere

Seems it would "read" faster than your actual speed. i.e. at an axle rpm showing 65 mph, you will be covering less distance with the smaller circumferance of the smaller diam. tires.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Your actual speed will be slower the speedometer will read higher.

Percy

I was wonderin.... If it says "DODGE" on the front of my truck, do I really need a horn?? :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kevin

Mark M

Hey neighbors to da north - do they still make those Mercury pickups up there? I haven't been to Canada for a while but don't remember seeing any for a long time.

Mark

redpowerd

i live right on the border, NEVER seen a merc pickup
what chassis?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Mark M

Hi Red,

I'm pretty sure it was a Ford pickup but it said Mercury on the tailgate. It might have been back in the 70's when I saw those. I'm getting pretty old and seenile ya know so I can't remember for sure.

Mark

Percy

QuoteHey neighbors to da north - do they still make those Mercury pickups up there? I haven't been to Canada for a while but don't remember seeing any for a long time.

Mark
Ya Stinky, Im thinkin they quit makin Merc pickups around 1969-70. Not sure but  I havent seen a new one lately ;D..heh... ;D

ADfields

It's gonna read fast by around 3 mph at 60 mph, when it reads 60 you are running around 57.   Some of the new computer trucks have settings in them for different tire size and gear ratios and can be changed over just by plugging it into a laptop and click, click, click. ;)
Andy

Haytrader

And didn't they make a Plymoth (sp) P U too?

And as to the tire size........I put bigger tires on my Dodge 1 ton to get some more speed from my RPMs. Had the local gustopo check me with his radar and when my speedo says 65 it is actually going 69.
Haytrader

Percy

QuoteAre going ahead or aback?
:D :D :D :DTook me awhile :D :D :D Sounds just like grandad :D :D :D :D

DanG

When I was in 'Nam, I noticed all the Dodge trucks the locals had were labeled, "Desoto." ::)   I took my R&R in Australia, and saw all the Holman cars that looked remarkably like a Chevy. Their Camaro look-alike was called the "Monaro."
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pappy

backup ahead  :D or is it go ahead and back up  ;D

with smaller tires on my '97 CJ7 created backlash in the gearing of the rear axle cause you ride around in two wheel drive mostly.  I think I had 215's instead of 235's
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

The only Mercury label I seen behind a FORD pickup was the label on the outboard motor, on the canoe, sitten on the boat trailor in the neighbor's yard. :D :D

Yes, smaller tires means slower road speed and faster speedometer reading. I know, since I had over sized tires on my S15, hauling a U-Haul trailor across the continent and I got stopped for going 120, when the 'dometer says 100. In my case its was the opposite result because of the alrger tires. :D  "Officer", I said, "Hop in I'll show ya I wasn't going no faster than 100. You think this little pickup with a U-haul behind it is capable of going that speed?" They never let me prove my point. ;) All I got for a response is "You'de better get the speedometer checked out sir." :D A six day marithon across the continent; did it in five on return. ;D :D :)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

Check out this URL to calculate the speed difference:

http://www.4lo.com/

EZ

Thanks guys. Not that I drive over the speed limit, unless I'm not paying attention. Couple 3 yrs ago I was doing 67 in a 55, told the stateman that the speedometer didnt work, he didnt want to here about it. He called me every name in the book and then some, he was screaming at me at the top of his lunges. This went on for 10 minutes, I just sat there and said yes sir and no sir, calmly. Then I blew up, I said, NOW LETS JUST HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, YOU KNOCKLEHEAD, I'M NOT SOME LITTLE KID. this guy didnt say a word for about a minute. I figured he was going to haul my butt in, but he said, I'm sorry sir  :o I was a little out of hand, but I still have to give you a ticket. So he did, I thank him and he said have a nice day. ::) :D
EZ

Kevin_H.

QuoteI was wonderin.... If it says "DODGE" on the front of my truck, do I really need a horn?? :D :D :D

Nope just a good warrenty, An auto club membership wont hurt either...Something with towing included on the plan... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

isawlogs

1968 is the last year that mercury pick-ups where made available in Canada....
   1972   Plymouth Fargo pick-up after that it is Dodge with or without horn  ;) ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

David_c

your not going to get more torque. if you want more torque change the differential gearing. heck you can change it so that you have as much as you need then some. the higher the number the lower the gears. you can turn it into a snail but be able to pull/push anything ;D

Percy

Here is  a thing all about Mercury Trucks ( fords with a different name)

http://www.mercurypickup.com/

Guess they quit makin em in  68...I think ;D

Thank You Sponsors!