iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

french doors

Started by L. Wakefield, October 16, 2003, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

trials and tribulations- got the new hot tub in but just barely by taking a door frame and a set of steps off. Just put me that much closer to getting the French doors I've been wanting. I doubt I'll do it this fall but I wanted to ask has anyone put in Anderson Windows brand french doors? I was thinking of the 400 series that open in- I will be going where there is snow falling off the roof and I know all about doors stuck shut bu snow n ice. I was wondering about price.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SasquatchMan

In my experience, the "big-name" producers all make a pretty good product, with the exception of a bunch of Geinow windows which had failing seals...  French doors and doors in general are pretty easy to install if your hole is the right size - they'll come cased, and as long as you're not trying to jam them into a really tight opening, you'll probably find that levelling them up is a snap with a few shims.

quality-wise, things I look for are decent glass, double glazed, and easily replaceable.  Anderson, Loewen, and the other manufacturers all meet these usually.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Frank_Pender

Yp, LW I put a set in my new adition about 5 years ago.  We sure like them.  The wife, probably more than me, is the happier of the towe.  They too open inward, which is a nice feature.  Sorry, I do not recall the price.  In my first house I built, I installed anderson throughout,  What a reward, all were vial coated, even the sliding unit which I do recal cost me $700. :-/
Frank Pender

Ron Wenrich

I put an Anderson french door on my addition about 5 years ago, as well.  But, then, I had to put a deck off of the door. Well satisfied with Anderson.  I used their windows on the house.  I like the vinyl clad wood that they use.

Works well.  I had my brother-in-law put it in, since he's a contractor.  It didn't look to be all that hard.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

L. Wakefield

Thank you all for the good word on this. I now have to shop around to see who carries them.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bro. Noble

We are doing some building and have been pricing doors.  Anderson french doors were quoted to us at $1500.  We didn't buy them.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

I agree with the others. Anderson makes a quality product. I haven't done the french doors but have hung lots of thier windows. I made a bay window useing three of their windows, with the two side ones crank outs. My lovely ex-wife enjoys it very much.........
 :D  :D  :D
Haytrader

SasquatchMan

Haytrader, that's why I only build stuff out of scraps for my wife - then she knows if she takes off she has to have half of that crap.  It's insurance :D
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Thank You Sponsors!