iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Shed/Greenhouse

Started by Dave in MD, September 01, 2020, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave in MD

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to build an outbuilding on our property to support her budding flower farming business. We've settled on a timber framed structure based on the Sobon shed described in Beemer's excellent book. We plan to have a 12' x 20' main structure with a 6' or 8' wide addition on the south-facing side. We plan to install lots of windows on that side so that she can use that portion of the building to start seedlings. The rest of the building will be finished to look similar to the historic barns in our area (Maryland).

This will be my first timber framing project. I have a fair bit of experience with woodworking and general construction techniques, and I've read every timber framing resource that I can get my hands on (including quietly watching this forum for a couple years!). However, we are getting close to the point where we will need to make real decisions and start working. Before we move forward, I'll need to submit a permit for an agricultural structure to our county office (they do not require inspections/engineering stamps but do require initial drawings) and I'll also need a final cut list to send to our local sawmill. Based on what I've seen, it looks like Sketchup is the "go to" design tool for quickly mapping out designs.

Can anyone direct me towards an existing Sketchup drawing of the Sobon shed that I could modify to meet our needs? I'd be happy to offer reasonable compensation.

I anticipate I'll have many more questions in the future, and plan to include you all in the journey. Thanks in advance for your input and feedback!

Dave

mudfarmer

Found these, not sure if either are what you need:
Drawing a Timber Frame in SketchUp (complete) | 3D Warehouse

"The start of the Arunah Hill Pavilion, designed by Jack Sobon. This frame was used as the model in an article on drawing a timber frame in SketchUp by Ben Weiss, which appeared in the December 2009 issue of TImber Framing Journal. "

Timber Frame Small Garden Shed | 3D Warehouse
"
A 12' x 16' garden toolshed featured in the book 'Timber Frame Construction - All about Post-and-Beam Building' (authors Jack Sobon and Roger Schroeder). It is meant by the authors as a sample project for those new to post and beam construction and originally built for the Hancock Shaker Village in Massachusetts."

If either of them are what you need, please do not compensate me but you can donate to the forum if it was that helpful

Dave in MD

Thanks mudfarmer! Your suggestions gave me the pieces I need to get started in SketchUp and start making substantial planning progress (I made a donation to the forum per your suggestion). We are making headway now.

Dave in MD

Here's my draft design so far. The main section will before for storage of implements and includes a loft on one side. The shed roof section will be a greenhouse to extend our growing season. The roof on the greenhouse section will be covered with either polycarbonate twinwall or glass, with windows all along the sides for light and ventilation.

Comments/criticisms welcome!

Thank You Sponsors!