iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log skidders

Started by Greg, April 01, 2003, 11:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

hi all,

I've recently observed the terrific utility of a tractor mounted log skidder/winch. I'm sure some of you guys have seen or used these. An Ohio foresty guy around me uses one exclusively to pull logs out of his forest - the cable on the thing is 100 feet to go deep into the woods.

My interest in these is they look great to pull logs out of tight quarters. I'd like to be able to pull some bucked waste logs out yards and suburban properties. The tree service guys don't want to screw with em and it justs costs them time to cut up and haul away.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard of something like these 3pt tractor mount winches/skidders mountable either on a truck bed or heavy trailer.

(FYI, I'm not talking about the hydraulic grapple loaders, just a skidder)

Thanks,
Greg

Mark M

Hi Greg

Have you looked into a Lewis Winch? That's what I am using to do my "Skidding". Right now I am in the process of adding a mount to my trailer and making a plate to mount it to the hitch on my truck. It will pull up to 4000 lbs on a single line or 8000 with a snatch block. Here is a Picture of mine in action. This is another with the same log that is about 20 feet long. The winch comes with 150 feet of cable and you can add a second drum to use as a haul-back to pull the main-line back into the woods. I am planning to add one in the near future.

Mark

PS - Got it from Madsens for $579. Baileys has it too.

Greg

I think the term I should have used is:

Logging winch

Not a big ol' skidder...

Greg

QuoteHi Greg

Have you looked into a Lewis Winch? That's what I am using to do my "Skidding". Right now I am in the process of adding a mount to my trailer and making a plate to mount it to the hitch on my truck. It will pull up to 4000 lbs on a single line or 8000 with a snatch block. Here is a Picture of mine in action.

Mark

PS - Got it from Madsens for $579. Baileys has it too.

Very interesting Mark, I'll check it out. Looks like you've got a bunch of cool pics!

Being a smalltimer, thats actually something reasonably in my price range too.

Thanks,
Greg

Kevin

QuoteI'd like to be able to pull some bucked waste logs out yards and suburban properties.

For that purpose you will need something that is very low impact on the property such as ...

Mark M

Kevin do you have one of these? If so which model is this and how do you like it?

Mark

Link to: Future Forestry Products Inc

Kevin

Mark;
I don't have one, they also make larger units than the one pictured.
These are favored among arborists for their low impact and portability.

Greg

QuoteMark;
I don't have one, they also make larger units than the one pictured.
These are favored among arborists for their low impact and portability.

Great info guys!

Something like this could be very useful for me.

Talked to Mark at FFP today - super nice guy - and they are sending me some more info on their arch models.

Greg

Sawyerfortyish

I have a Farmi 3 point log skidder I used on a 70 hp tractor. Couldn,t believe what size tree it would pull 28000lb pull with 100' 5/8 cable. But i had to stack another 1200lbs weight on the front of the tractor  to hold it down and then sometimes used the brakes to steer .worked good until I went by a dead standing tree and the log i was pulling hit it and it fell across the fender and seat i was sitting in :o there is no substitute for the safety of the  cab on the timberjack i got now. Some of us have to learn the hard way ::)

Tillaway

Greg
Just for kicks, give mark at FFP heck about driving a Volvo wagon to the woods.  I have, someone else needs to also.  Mark at FFP is an composites engineer that designs custom molds which is his main business.  And he is a sharp and very nice guy.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

dail_h

I can just see it now. A quite neighborhood still in shock from the chainsawa,and chipper that devastated Mrs. Smith's bedraggeled old elm.Now the sound of a tractor trailer,air brakes,chains the roar of a big Detroit as a Franklin or Timberjack with 28inch rice& kanesplows through the roses and petunias to get that one 8 ft elm log.It's all about public relations and goodwill ,that ought to do the trick.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Sawyerfortyish

Hey if you gotta make scene might as well do it right ;D

J Beyer

I have the tape of the Future Forestry Products log arches.  Very neat pieces of equipment.  Reasonably priced and make skidding easy on the equipment and soil.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Greg

QuoteI have the tape of the Future Forestry Products log arches.  Very neat pieces of equipment.  Reasonably priced and make skidding easy on the equipment and soil.

JB

My video should be arriving any day now...

I was thinking about getting the fetching arch. Even though I am not in the biz professionally I could see using it to both a) haul logs off my and my brothers small woodlots and b) work with local arborists to pull out felled trees from their customers lots.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I could see even charging the smaller tree services folks a small fee to pull out these large trunk pieces that otherwise they'd have to spend alot time cutting up, throwing in a truck and disposing.

I'm sure the majority of removed yard trees are probably not all the best quality for milling, but even then I could collect the fee, have free lifetime firewood - and save the good pieces for timbers and/or lumber.

Any arborists here care to tell me if this ideas sound anywhere close to practical?
Greg

Tom

That's the way to do it, Greg.  Think Marketing!  There's dollars laying around everywhere. :)

Thank You Sponsors!