iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old 120 sachs Dolmar

Started by David-L, March 19, 2013, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

My local saw guy is saving me all the old Sachs saws he gets on trade ins. Picked up a nice 120 today and need info on where I can get the ignition module behind the flywheel. Saw has no spark. Plug is good. Anything else I should try before the coil.

David

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Hilltop366

I have a junked one but the reason it was junked was the ignition bolts came out and it cut the wires of flush if my memory serves me correct.

Try disconnecting the kill switch an check the wires for bare spots from rubbing or being pinched.

I may have a few new parts and a parts manual if it would help you out any.

Jiles

Read my post below---Ignition Coil (module) Resserection
It may be worth your time and will cost nothing if it doesn't work.
Satisfy needs before desires

David-L

will try the ignition coil resurrection trick and try to unplug the kill switch also to get spark. not sure its a120, side cover indicates that but no #'s anywhere i can find. any other features I can tell by on this saw. How about the piston, is it different than a 116.
                                                                      David

David-L

Good Morning, How about some contact info for possible part sources for this 120 Dolmar. been on line a bit but would rather talk to the person instead. Tried to get on the Arborsite but having trouble registering. Looks like some Dolmar advice there. Any help would be nice. Thanks. 17 degrees at current in Central ,Mass.
                                   David

celliott

Call Scott at the Chainsawr, site sponsor. I've dealt with him a few times, he runs a tight ship.
Looked, and he has 17 pages of Dolmar 120 parts, and he sometimes has parts not listed on the website.

Give him a ring, 802-533-7133
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jiles

Quote from: celliott on March 20, 2013, 09:32:45 AM
Call Scott at the Chainsawr, site sponsor. I've dealt with him a few times, he runs a tight ship.
Looked, and he has 17 pages of Dolmar 120 parts, and he sometimes has parts not listed on the website.

Give him a ring, 802-533-7133
Good suggestion--I have bought a lot of items from him.
Satisfy needs before desires

HolmenTree

We had a local saw dealer who passed away a few years back, a young guy took over the business. I took a tour with that young guy through some of his sheds stocked with old saw parts.
One shed had a big hole in the roof and there was brand new 1970-80s Sachs Dolmar and Husqvarna parts scattered every where on the floor almost knee deep.
I had no use for them so I suggested to him he should label them and sell them on e-bay......shortly after I found out the parts ended up in the burn pile at the local garbage dump.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DigDug

Quote from: David-L on March 19, 2013, 11:26:13 AM
My local saw guy is saving me all the old Sachs saws he gets on trade ins. Picked up a nice 120 today and need info on where I can get the ignition module behind the flywheel. Saw has no spark. Plug is good. Anything else I should try before the coil.

David

Check the points and condenser first before throwing the coil.   The coil part # for a 120 is 119 140 100. 

David-L

Thanks digdug, This 120 has the 4 magnetic pieces on the fly wheel and it goes over the ignition module. No points it must be a mag system. reall busy right now with this extended cold weather here. I will be checking out the saw a little more when I have time. I will try the resurection trick, don't see any bare wires and have disconnected the kill switch as that could be grounding things out, still no spark. This ignition module or plate has two coils, I am wondering how I determine  which it is, ignition or trigger. I think this could be a scarce item to find. I ran a add in my local paper as we have had a sachs dealer close for quite some years. He isn't much help with old saws though. Can't wait to hear it run. I once had a 6000 that was a beauty and sold it as well as a 7900 that was nice also. Had a 5100s that blew and he did not want to stand by it so switched to a different brand. Thanks again

David

David

DigDug

Should be a newer 120  then with electronic ign.    They had 120s with ignition coil on inside of flywheel and outside depending on model.   If your coils are on inside the of flywheel the one on left is trigger coil (119 146 100) still available.   The coil on right if ignition coil 119 143 100 (NLA) . 

David-L

Well, I put the pawl system together as it was apart and have found a ignition mod. Decided to see where the compression was ,and when I did the first pull I did not like what I felt. Hooked up the tester and all I could get was 90. Guess it is not worth the 100 bucks for the mod with low compression. So the question to you folks is, If the crank feels good and I can find a piston and rings, can I hone the jug up and feel confident that it will run better with that being done or should I find a used jug also.  Ign Mod, jug,piston and probablyseals on each side will be about 200 in parts. is it worth it or should I find another 120 and have a parts saw.

David l

Thank You Sponsors!