iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lookin For A.C.

Started by Percy, January 13, 2004, 11:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

I am looking for a cheap way to get about enuff A.C. power to power mebey 500 watts of light and run the brand new Makita 10 inch sliding compound miter saw I got for Christmas. Its rated 13 amps. I have about too many engines running already at my millsite and was thinkin of the following scenario.

I currently have an 11horse Honda powering the conveyor and a sawdust sucker/blower for the edger. I have learned from watching the govner work on the Honda that its hardly workin at all.  I thought Id get a 200 amp alternator and using the Honda as a power source, charge up a few 12 volt batterys hooked up in parrellel, and get an 12 volt to 110volt inverter. I can do the scrounge thing for the alt/batterys...BUT a 3000 watt inverter is mega bucks.  Does anyone know of a source for 110 volt alternators that can be belt driven??

Any suggestions....??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ianab

How about one of those gen-set / welder combos designed to mount on the back of a tractor and driven off the PTO. Good for around 5kw of AC power or 200amps of welding current. If you could pick up one of those cheap it shouldn't be too trickey to hook up a drive belt from the Honda to drive the thing. Lot less complicated than alternator / battery / inverter setup?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

karl

How 'bout just a plain ole 4-5000 watt ac generator? Northern has them w/o motor for $370.- 42 amp@120v- might take more than 11 hp with conveyer and blower @ full load though.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

D._Frederick

Percy,
Go with the generator  from Northern, the 11 hp Honda should handle a 5 kw generator. You can block-off the output to your blower when using your miter saw if you are short on power. This will reduce the amount of power it takes to run the blower.

mhasel

Percy,

I have to agree with everyone else, go with a generator set and power it off the engine, the inverter is going to run way too much$$$

Also you might want to try Burdens Surplus Center http://www.surpluscenter.com they have all kinds of good stuff:)

Mike

Percy

Hey Guys
Thanks for the info. Karl, Im from up north in Canada and am not familiar with "Northern". Could you be more specific for  a hillbilly canuck ;D ;D  Ill be checkin them other links as well. Thx again ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

shopteacher

Percy,  Here's a link for northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company

http://www.northerntool.com/?storeId=6970&langId=%2D1

and Burden Surplus.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

From your post I thought you were looking for Alice Cooper ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

cluckerplucker

Look around for an aircraft repair facility. Alot of multi eng . planes have 120 volt alt. cecil
cecil

rebocardo

There are alternators that provide 110v out plugs and they are rated for something like 15 amps 110v. I looked though all my bookmarks and could not find the site. I know it is sold by a OEM that makes aftermarket alternators.

Buzz-sawyer

any automotive alternator will produce 110v ac...the only catch is it is high cycle...not common 60hz...however you can run universal motors like drills and saws directly off it....you will be best off with at least a 100amp alternator like off a car with power windows etc.you can also use it as a welder for use in the field....I have done this and it is no big deal to set up...either use a alternator that requires an external regulator or remove the diodes from a delco type...
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!