iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just couldn't help m'self.

Started by DanG, August 10, 2009, 03:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

The other day when I was coming back from Hogs4hobby's place, I saw this cute little thing settin' by the road.  Now, now don't let your fantasies take off on ya! ::) :D  This particular cute little thing had a for sale sign on it.  I tried to call the owner right then but couldn't reach him, so I called the next day.  The price he was asking just about tripled the level of temptation, but I forced myself to cogitate about it through the weekend, half hoping someone else would buy it before today.  They didn't, so I went down there and led it home a little while ago. ::) ;D 8) 8)

She's a 14 footer with a 35hp :o Evinrude and a foot-controlled trolling motor.  As far as I can tell, everything is solid, and both motors run great.  Just gotta get a couple of anchors and I'll be ready to fish! 8) 8)

I know, I just bought a big ol' pontoon boat and ain't even had it in the water yet. ::)  But like I said, I just couldn't help myself when I found out he was only asking $1000!  I didn't even try to haggle. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ARKANSAWYER

Sometimes a bad econmony is a good thing.   Nice hole in the water.   Remember the two happiest days in a boat owners life. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

gary

I fish out of a similar type of boat and have a bass boat also. The 14 footer is in the water more than the bass boat. Now if I had a pontoon you wouldn't be able to get me off the lake. Nice boat Dang

DanG

Thanks. :)  If I ever get that pontoon on the water, you might have a hard time finding me at home.  I still have to build some seats, buy some more hardware, and do some work on the trailer.  I may have just shot myself in the foot though, 'cause I'm gonna have a hard time finding time to work on it now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

DanG, my favorites are bream and catfish ::) ::).  Just so you know :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Dat's what we go for, Danny.  Would you like to come down and catch your own, or do you want me to have all the fun? ;D

Radar67

There is one thing for sure DanG, well two, the first is that sure is a nice boat. The second, Danny sure knows how to eat catfish.  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

Quote from: DanG on August 10, 2009, 09:25:04 PM
Dat's what we go for, Danny.  Would you like to come down and catch your own, or do you want me to have all the fun? ;D

I'll take mine cleaned and vacu sealed please.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Quote from: LeeB on August 11, 2009, 01:05:15 AM
Quote from: DanG on August 10, 2009, 09:25:04 PM

I'll take mine cleaned and vacu sealed please.  :D

And, packed in peppers  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

At the very least a couple on the side.  :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I think that there boat ride with his buddy in the cypress, put ideas in his head.  ::) I think he wants to make his buddy grab the seats and gunwale this time through. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

You ain't all that far from having me figgered out, SwampDonkey! :D :D :D  I'm gonna have to get a little more familiar with stick steering before I try that though, not to speak of getting familiar with the creek itself.  Ol' Hamp knows where every stump and shallow spot is, and just which side of every tree he should be on.  There is plenty more small water around here where this boat will go and the pontoon won't.  I'm looking forward to using the pontoon, but I don't want to give up fishing the little places. ;D

Another consideration is, some problems showed up on Hamp's little boat on that trip.  The seat I was in pulled loose from the floor, revealing some bad wood rot.  It will take a lot of work to get it back in the water....if ever.  He might just sell the motor and junk the boat.  He still has a really nice 16 footer, which we've been using a lot.  The pore ol' guy is about half crippled with arthritic knees and I have to help him in and out of the boat sometimes.  He's looking forward to the pontoon boat, too. ;)

gary

Dang all that pontoon boat needs for seats is a couple of used lazy boys. Might as well be comfortable while fishing. Add a picnic table and a gas grill and I could live on it.

DanG

I'm with ya Gary.  I don't want to get it too crowded on there.  I'm just gonna build a couple of benches for solid seating while we're running, and use folding lawn chairs for fishing.  The benches will have dry storage underneath for the life jackets and such.

Managed to get the little boat out to the lake for a short trip this evening.  I was not disappointed at all!  Everything on it works to perfection.  The 35 Evinrude runs as good as any motor I've ever had!   I need to put a couple of rope cleats on to tie off the anchors, and put a new roller on the winch stand.  Other than that, she's good to go! :) :) :)

LeeB

Sounds like you found a keeper Dan. Sooo, when can I expect my packade of fish and peppers?

DanG

Sorry Lee.  We didn't catch any peppers, so we threw the fish back.

SwampDonkey

DanG, that's a good company behind that motor. Well, to be honest I don't know much about the company. But, I do know they have always been reliable. I have a 7.5 HP, although I have never put many hours on it, it never lets me down. I've had it for over 20 years, but as I said it has very few hours on it. It was only used to move a canoe a short distance from salmon pool to salmon pool all well within a mile of river. Grand father used the brand ever since the war on canoes in the river. My motor is just like new.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Oh, I can send Lee his Kippered herring in Jalapeno sauce.  I bet they're on the shelves in Louisiana. ;D

fishpharmer

DanG,

I would rather be lucky than good. ;D  Your lucky.

Nice boat for sure.  Looks like it could handle a couple of big fella's ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Quote from: DanG on August 12, 2009, 12:42:03 AM
Sorry Lee.  We didn't catch any peppers, so we threw the fish back.

You must be using the wrong bait  :).

Banjo picker

That boat was ment to be yours....We are not suposed to be tempted beyond what we can bear....So if you were not suposed to have it someone would have got it before you got there... 8)  Thats my reasoning on it anyway....One of these days I will have a motercycle by the same thinking....I see a nice one by the road and think that had better be gone before a certain day...and usually it is...One of these day.... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

DanG I thought you was an ole stick steerer from way back. ;D  You oughta love it.  Probably alot easier with just one plane of motion.  No up and down. 8)

Banjo, I like your philosophy.

WDH, I have sure had some peppers with some "bite" before.  Never hooked one.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Who knows, it might take LeeB for bait :D :D.

Texas Ranger

That little boat will track behind the pontoon, and you can  use it for a gofer when on the water.  A spare, so to speak.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

This here is what put me over the top and convinced me to grab it if I could. ;)

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/1314753059.html

That sorta puts it in the investment class rather than the expenditure class, at least that's my rationalization. :D

Fish, I switched over to salt water fishing before stick steering was invented.  This is the first freshwater boat of my own I've had on the water since the mid-seventies.  Judging from yesterday's experience, I'm gonna like the stick just fine. ;D 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!