iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Swap

Started by highleadtimber16, March 07, 2021, 09:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highleadtimber16

Decided it was time to pull the old girl out of the shed and replace it with a shinier one.
Now I just have to figure out the setworks.

2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

WV Sawmiller

Why did you swap? What new features do you have now that you did not have before?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Wheel covers for starters.   :D.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Oh, and maybe the air in the tires had gotten stale. ::) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

😂😂 Sweet mill, and it looks like someone will be getting a nice used one, too!👍 
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

A circle mill would fit in there.

highleadtimber16

It's called updating equipment.
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

moodnacreek

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on March 07, 2021, 07:06:55 PM
It's called updating equipment.
I never thought of it that way.  Newer is always better and so is bigger.

Percy

That new one is  a 50. Vertical uprights and a chain turner. The cant wrecking claw turner I had on my old LT40 will never be missed...along with the pivoting uprights. You gonna love that mill.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

...but she was just starting to turn pink... :embarassed:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tacks Y

Congrats on your new mill. New and old both diesel? What engine is on the 50? How many hours on your old one?

highleadtimber16

Both mills are diesel. 4650 hours on the old one and nothing wrong with it. I will be moving the LT40 across the yard and have someone else running it. 
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

highleadtimber16

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 07, 2021, 11:33:30 AM
 Oh, and maybe the air in the tires had gotten stale. ::) :D
The air has been in there a while, but not as long as you've been around. So it should be just fine. 
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the update. From the pictures I thought they were both LT50s and was wondering if it was just a cosmetic change or if you got some new functionality in the change. Since they are different I know you got a reversible chain turner instead of the claw. I don't know how much better the vertical side supports work but I do know I like the extra pair of side supports on mine when cutting short stuff. I don't know if anyone has developed extra side supports for LT50s and LT70s (Which I assume have the same side support system) or if they just use a scrap board on the side. 
Howard Green

Southside

My 70 came with the extra side supports, they are manual.  I do use them now and then. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

highleadtimber16

I very rarely saw logs shorter than 8 feet, so the two vertical uprights are fine for me. My lt40 has all four linked together. They are great for the odd short or disfigured log. First full day on the new mill and I'm really enjoying the chain turner and vertical uprights. The faster hydraulics and up/down motor are great, but taking a bit to get used too. 
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Thank You Sponsors!