iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who decides which logs become lumber, and which logs are slab cut?

Started by Industry_Jon, March 06, 2021, 12:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcowhand

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2021, 09:39:27 AM
This reminds me of a song about "Everything that Glitters is not Gold":

Dan Seals - Everything that glitters is not gold - YouTube
Trivia Question Time; Dan Seals was also part of a Pop Duo that produced some Hits. Although his "name" was in the Band Title, who knows what he was called? I was going to make this a "prize" question, but first correct answer gets to be "Know it all for a day".
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

terrifictimbersllc

Seals and Crofts?

ps oops if im right i dont want the prize :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

olcowhand

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 07, 2021, 12:35:52 PM
Seals and Crofts?

ps oops if im right i dont want the prize :D
Nope, Seals and Crofts featured Mike (?) Seals; Dan's brother. Good try.
Jeff knew the answer, which shouldn't surprise anyone. 
Thanks for the responses. Now back to our original post....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 07, 2021, 11:07:34 AM
At what point do I realize that the person who asked me a question isnt listening to my answer?  :-\
Maybe he didn't like the answers? We may never know. ???
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

KEC

I think Jeff weighed in just to show off his new hat again.

SawyerTed

One hit wonders searching for free advice often want to confirm their preconceived ideas.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

KEC

There was another forum that I used to participate in and oftentimes people would come on, ask a question and not stick around to read a post that you put time and thought into. Never to be heard from again.

Jeff

brianJ

Quote from: KEC on March 07, 2021, 05:42:54 PM
There was another forum that I used to participate in and oftentimes people would come on, ask a question and not stick around to read a post that you put time and thought into. Never to be heard from again.
Yeah I actually could not decide if this question was from a troll or from an idiot.     Along that line, this forum is a good influence on me.    Most responses were rather diplomatic in tone and well worded which is not my personality and a shortcoming Id like to improve.     Anyways while everyone is being so helpful I got a question.
Who decides which lumber goes into what product and for what use?     I have some excellent boards I want used by only the most professional of carpenters on projects lots of people will admire.   

richhiway

Yellow hammer explained it well. The logger will probably leave all the "slab logs" behind.
You could try to advertise them. The problem is it takes so much work to get to a slab that the logs have little value.
A lot of tree services just deliver them to saw mills for free.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

SawyerTed

Quote from: brianJ on March 07, 2021, 07:17:21 PMWho decides which lumber goes into what product and for what use?     I have some excellent boards I want used by only the most professional of carpenters on projects lots of people will admire.  

I'm offering my services to police the usage of exactly that kind of lumber.  My fee is 38ยข per board foot plus any excellent boards recovered from the dastardly carpenters who would misuse such fine lumber!  :D  Should the crime go before a grand jury and produce a true bill, my fee doubles.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Ahem - Ted I think you forgot about the 5% to the Forum in that deal.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

Quote from: Jeff on March 07, 2021, 06:14:04 PM
Quote from: KEC on March 07, 2021, 01:31:09 PM
I think Jeff weighed in just to show off his new hat again.
TRUTH
Is it really true what they say about people who wear black hats?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

Nebraska

I think Jeff needs a sherif's badge with that fancy  hat. 

mike_belben

To everyone degrading the OP for not checking back every 5 minutes like he hasnt got i dunno a job or family to manage, he posted another decent question yesterday elsewhere.  So maybe yall just ran him off from the topic. 

Kinda disrespectful actually.  I didnt think thats how we were sposta behave on the FF. 
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Agreed.  And it's not lost on him(her). He was here reading at around 11 am yesterday,  my comment about being blunt probably didnt help, but with the time given at the moment, I had an idea where this would go, but wanted to see a teaching moment versus any ridicule.  My post about the shelf was meant to be enlightening. 

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

My apologies as well.  I was raised better but my comments didn't show it.

Erik A

Being a hobby sawyer, I enjoy reading about how the timber sale side of this works. I think the OP's question is a good one. And has a LOT of good responses.  I can see how it went a little off the rails, when I post a question, I try to keep track of responses and reply in a timely manner ( dont always get that part done though!).
I would like the OP to respond with what types of trees he has to cut and maybe a picture of some that might make slabs. My problem is I start to see all logs as slab logs. I have been caught up in the "That  slab is $1000.00 and a 2x4 is a couple of $$." thinking from time to time.

Jeff: I like your parable! It took me a bit to figure out it was a parable. Initially, I thought "They want what.... How do they even know!" :D

Thank You Sponsors!