iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got some sycamore logs, I wonder what I should do with them?

Started by Snowman1988, September 11, 2020, 11:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowman1988

Got some really nice sycamore logs today!

What should I do with them? I cut them in 8' 6" lengths and longer the largest log is about 26" in diameter
I was thinking about Quarter sawing them in to 2x4's for a solar kiln build. I'm not real sure what to do. What would you do with them?

Southside

QS Sycamore is gorgeous.  If it's clear I would look to saw it 9/4, dry it, then finish it for tables and other furniture lumber.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Definitely quartersaw it.  It warps and twists really bad if flatsawn.  If I can't quartersaw it, I won't saw it at all. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Silverfoxfintry

I milled a small Sycamore log 20 years ago. I kept it for 18 years before I turned the slabs into Chopping-boards a couple of years ago. I managed to get £70 per board.
Winter cut Sycamore is very white. I am told it has certain Anti- Bacterial properties.

Keep safe

Iain 

Thank You Sponsors!