iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silver Maple ?????????????????

Started by Solomon, June 29, 2016, 09:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon

I sawed up four  8ft logs  averaging 26 inches diameter.  The tree service guy that gave them to me said they are "Silver Maple"   It is a very light to white color when first sawn and turns a very pretty light golden color after a couple of days in dry air.
It did have a nice silver colored bark and sawed easily with no movement or any real stress in the logs.
Is this a hard or soft maple ?   What would be some good uses for this lumber?
  I cut  Some 8/4   some 12/4  and some 4x4's .
Some of it has some really nice curly/quilted look to it and some is just plain straight grain.
Any ideas folks ?    :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Rural

I would call it a soft Maple being relatively fast growing compared with Sugar Maple. Have never sawn any so cant help with uses.....

WDH

It is a soft maple.  Can have some really beautiful figure and will make some nice furniture. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Carson-saws

Same as above....soft...easy to mill...nice color and grain pattern.  I have seen some folks even do flooring with it.  The only fall back is:  because of it being a "soft wood"  IF the tree itself has no "signs" of decay,  it can instead be rotting from the middle out,  which obviously will be evident.  We call them " big weeds" If the log had "healing" cuts it may have "healed"  BUT the decay can still linger from the original cut and play havoc within the "trunk".  If it is a "clean butt log" be it grade A,B and so on,  than by all means..mill it. IF there are "healed cuts" on the log, than do not be surprised to find decay. Just like the "box of chocolates"
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Solomon

I milled it.   It is very very nice looking lumber.   I suppose I got lucky considering that I had no real knowledge of this maple before hand.
I've found a connection with a tree service, the owner is giving me all of his logs that I want to saw and cuts the rest into firewood.
He lets me bring the mill to his yard and saw there and gave me a key for machine with a grapple on it to move logs.
I saw rough boards for him that he uses for side boards on his trucks ect....
And I saw some crap logs down to 6x6 with an old blade so they fit through his chipper.   It's very expensive to get rid of crap logs in my area so it saves him a lot of money.
  He's got a couple of  cyprus trees coming down next week.  I should get 1200 to 1500 bf out of them.   Maybe more.  They're huge.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!