iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new husqvarna 346

Started by oakwood productions, December 05, 2009, 01:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakwood productions

Is the new husqvarna 346 as good as the model it replaced. I am questioning the fuel pump on the new saw and really wonder why it was necessary to do this. Would appreciate any information about the difference in the two saws.

D._Frederick

If the newer model has a primer pump, it should cut down on the number of pull for cold starting.

sablatnic

hat's right. It's to cut the number of pulls. The bulb can crack, but mice are a much bigger problem to them. I see about 15 eaten by mice to each I see cracked by natural causes. (That is the score in Denmark. Could be different at other locations).

Rocky_J

Being in an urban setting, mice aren't a problem for me. I've had a leaf blower and weed wacker for over 15 years and both have the primer bulbs. Neither has ever needed any carb work or service, and the bulbs held up great until they both got an overdose of ethanol about 2 years ago during the last gas crisis. But replacements were cheap and it only takes a minute or two to replace them. Much easier than replacing a fuel line (Which should probably be done about the same frequency).

The main difference in the two saws is displacement. The newer version has more, 50cc vs 46cc for the old style. The crankcase and lower ends are the same.

ladylake

Primer bulbs really help if the saw sits for a while between use. Makes it a 2 pull start instead of 6 to 10.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

Worked on a  stihl weed eater this summer less then 2 years old. Primer bulb was cracked already and carb diaphragm shot. Looks like ethanol is going to take care of it in some areas.

Then again my Mac, JD = big Homelight weed eater and my dad's Echo weed eaters have never had problems years on years.

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on December 06, 2009, 07:55:39 AM
Primer bulbs really help if the saw sits for a while between use. ......

Exactly, I like it!   ;)
Information collector.

Urbicide

The original saw was a much higher reving saw than the new edition. The new edition has a much better over-all power band and torque. If one has the new edition equipped with the catalytic convertor muffler (e-tech version & it will also have a green gas cap), I would definetly recommend replacing the muffler with an non-epa (no catalyst) version. The saw will run better and much cooler which translates into longer engine life. The cat version will keep your left hand warm for sure.

oakwood productions

My original 346 saw barked on the fourth pull and fired on the fifth from a cold start. Once the saw fired and ran it fired on the first pull everytime. I wondered why Husqvarna thought it was necessary to put the primer pump on the saw. Same thing goes for the decompression valve. If you have a great product, why change it?

Cut4fun

What kind of prices are you guys seeing on a new husky 346xp? I am looking for one PHO or 16" 3/8 and warranty isnt important. Its getting tore down anyways while still new.   :)

SawTroll

Quote from: oakwood productions on December 13, 2009, 07:50:44 PM
My original 346 saw barked on the fourth pull and fired on the fifth from a cold start. Once the saw fired and ran it fired on the first pull everytime. I wondered why Husqvarna thought it was necessary to put the primer pump on the saw. Same thing goes for the decompression valve. If you have a great product, why change it?

I use the bulb on cold starts, but never used the decomp valve on my NE346xp.
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Got a new 346xp 50cc today grey fuel cap with reg muffler  8) and while there priced the others couldn't believe how much the 357xp on the shelf was retail $709  :o.

thumper

awesome.. how do you like your new 346?
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Cut4fun

Quote from: thumper on December 16, 2009, 02:01:51 PM
awesome.. how do you like your new 346?

Will never know stock or with gas in it ever.  8) 

Thank You Sponsors!