iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wolf or Coyote?

Started by Jeff, November 14, 2023, 07:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The pond continues to draw critters. The buck was 2 nights before the canine. I was able to superimpose the photos to show scale.  My first impressions are a healthy coyote, but its so big!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

Not a coyote. Is the third picture a composite?
HM126

Chuck White

Of course I'm not sure, but looks to heavy to be a coyote, so I say wolf.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dakota

Dave Rinker

OntarioAl

Al Raman

beenthere

Should see tracks to help identify. 
Recall member Nailhead (may he rest in peace) showed us wolf tracks on our 2007 ATV ride at his place/location in the UP. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yea, its a composite. I could use the Rock to easily register the trailcam photos together.

I walked down looking for tracks.  We got rain, so I didn't find any great one, but I found enough to know the track was much smaller than Cedar's, so I'm calling it coyote.

Lets see iff this facebook video link works. Its the deer, the coyote, then composited together. Actually kinda neat.

Fb video of deer and coyote

snobdds

Wolfs have very narrow chests with bowed out front feet. 

That is a coyote. 

SwampDonkey

Looks like coyote to me. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Coywolf are hybrids of coyote and wolf and they are out there. 

Jeff

Got tracks. Hmmmm Still coyote?

Peter Drouin

A lot bigger track than here from our Coyotes. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Coyotes here are fairly small and certainly don't have the good posture and broad chest yours is showing.  If he's a coyote, he's of the Schwarzenegger breed.  Plus the noses of our coyotes are long and narrow.  

Anyway, pretty cool picture.  Do you have wolves in the area?  We don't have them here, or haven't had a wolf down here since our Governor was kicked out.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

Oh yea, we have wolves. The video clip is pretty cool.

firefighter ontheside

Coyote track should be about 3" and wolf about 5".  Large dog would somewhere in between.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fluidpowerpro

Based on the profile of the snout, I'd say wolf. A coyote would be longer and more pointed.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

KEC

Not-so-big ears lean toward wolf, too.

chet

I may be off base here but I'm thinking dog or very well nourished wolf pup. All the wolves I've seen in these parts are much more lanky. These were near da house last year.

another this spring

We had one within 20 feet of da house a few times this spring, but was never fast enough ta get a photo.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

That one is a head scratcher...it looks more like a coyote, but it sure is big.

I'm wondering if it's a dog, too. Something about the face doesn't log coyote, and not wolf either.

Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I had quite a bit of experience with Coyotes in Maine before moving here, much bigger dog up there than here.  I have also seen one set of confirmed wolf tracks along the Quebec border, saw one wolf in Idaho but that's going to be a different critter all together.  The tracks you have there are huge compared to the ones I saw that time.  Those were bigger than my labs tracks, but not like the ones you have there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chet

Tracks I've seen (I actually seen the animal make) the front pads looked far more pronounced and extended further forward of the rear pad. The claws  were also very pronounced. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

We have big coyotes here, like in Maine. They are also referred to as Coydogs here. They are bigger animals than Walt Disney's desert coyotes.

MY cousin shot and trapped 16 one fall here and never made a dent, I saw coyote tracks a plenty that winter.

They like moose antlers like many other critters.

Funny that area the coyote was standing is all spruce canopy now. I had to cut out a path through there. It was an old logging road from the 70's. Winter road.

One wolf was killed a few years ago believed to be transient from Quebec. No one has ever found a population of them in NB since before the rail road. The old guides of the late 1800's never mentioned wolf or coyote, and there was hardly a deer here until 1910 or so. First coyote I saw here was in the late 70's. Trapped and on a stretcher. My grandfather, and especially his brother, were trappers since the 1920's. His brother also bought and sold fur to the HBC. He caught a timber wolf, which was actually a neighbor's dog. Had all the characteristics of a wolf and HBC didn't know the difference. The dog was a bit feral and was always running and chasing deer.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I'm thinking that's a good looking dog.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

It aint no dog I'd bet on that. 

doc henderson

I have a coyote that was very healthy and young.  had some red and almost looked like a fox.  It is mounted, and I can get a pic later.  we do not have wolves.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

The reason I highly doubt a dog, is because this aint suberbia. This is about as wilderness as you are going to get in the eastern U.P. east of I-75. I'd say I know most all my neighbors within a mile radius. We have wolves, coyotes, cougars, bears, bobcats and I certainly suspect lynx.  I've spent the majority of my free time in this area since 1994. In all that time, we have had a collared bear dog show up once, and earlier this year, a great big red wolf dog hybrid belonging to the neighbor across the road. Other than that, this aint dog friendly country.

Magicman

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/coyote-vs-wolf-the-6-key-differences-explained/

Coyotes have a center lobe on the pad which is missing in Jeff's picture with the boot.  This indicates a Wolf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

YellowHammer

Put a stereo speaker out and play a recording of the Roadrunner's "Beep, Meep" real loud.  If a critter runs up with an Acme box full of dynamite, it's got to be Wile E. Coyote.

If, not, then it's a wolf.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Biggest Coyote I have seen here, About 2 and a half feet tall.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on November 15, 2023, 07:58:13 AM
I have a coyote that was very healthy and young.  had some red and almost looked like a fox.  It is mounted, and I can get a pic later.  we do not have wolves.
A state parks official says tests have confirmed that an animal killed by hunters in Trego County in December was a wolf.
DNA testing conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service confirmed the animal was a western Great Lakes wolf, a subspecies of the gray wolf. Ron Kaufman, a spokesman for the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, says officials haven't determined if the wolf was wild or had been in captivity. The Hays Daily News reported Monday the last confirmed killing of a gray wolf in Kansas was during the winter of 1938-39. The animal's body has been turned over to the federal wildlife agency. Gray wolves are a protected species outside extreme northern United States. The hunters have not been identified.

Walnut Beast

I had a conversation last week with a farmer about the crossbreed coyote/wolf. Before this conversation here. He believes and many do they are out there. Do you think the game and parks commission everywhere tells the public everything. I don't think so!!

Ron Scott

It's a grey wolf as noted by its ears, size, and track.
~Ron

Southside

Sidebar but the fish and game folks in North Carolina - federal I think - are in the process of re-introducing Red Wolves to the eastern part of the state.  In some areas there is a lot of timber and farm land there, but there are a lot of people in that area and it's growing.  What could possibly go wrong?   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Jeff's photo does show a critter with a heavier muzzle than our coyotes. So could very well be wolf. As to tracks, after being rained on, can be obscured a bit. You can see in those other tracks that they don't always fit the mold. ;)

BillyTheKid

The head/snout look like a wolf. The size of the body looks like a wolf. But the small feet look like a coyote. I think it's a wolf. I have plenty of both around my house, but never both at the same time as the wolves hunt coyote. I like to keep track of who's ruling the neighborhood by listening to evening howls. A wolf sounds like a ghost. A coyote sounds like a yapping dog.
multiple 372XPs; 540XP; 562XP; 592XP; stihl brush cutter 561 C; misc small Husq saws; Milwaukee  M18 saw; new stihl MSA 70 C

Walnut Beast

Jeff

I sent my superimposed video to dnr wildlife in the soo, and they shared it, and they all said coyote.

snobdds

Good to confirm.

For me, it was the chest.  It was too broad to be a wolf. 

chet

New wolf pic just before Christmas

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

chet

I can assure you it is not a dog.

Jeff

Quote from: chet on January 31, 2024, 11:04:21 PMNew wolf pic just before Christmas
Image preview
Is the broken pic a new problem or did upu delete

Jeff

chet

:) Almost posted that yesterday as a trial balloon.

Jeff

The gallery search is great. I went, unclicked the defaults, clicked owner, and searched chet

chet

I was able to load it in Firefox. I can see it there. But when I log in with Chrome I cannot.

SwampDonkey

When I check Chet's image source (shows in Brave/Chrome as IMG preview with an icon) in the inspector of the browser it says it's coming from outlook.live.

https://attachment.outlook.live.net/owa/MSA%3A26a663fd77f84f29a9cfdf75c20788d299b500268aeabc236e4f3889a954638c%40shadow.outlook.com/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentThumbnail?

chet

Last week pic in full winter coat

I reloaded the other wolf pic a few posts back that had went missing when we were getting back up and running.

Magicman

I believe that it sensed the camera. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

Nope just a dumb Yooper trying things out.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

Magicman

Well I was talking about the coyote, not you.   ffcheesy ffcheesy

chet

I was trying edit functions for posted pics, and thought you might have seen when he went and hid fir a moment.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

Magicman

Jeff

Magicman

I actually sorta figured that it was but South Mississippi has nothing for comparison.  ffcheesy

Thank You Sponsors!