iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Cherry?

Started by 2bitaxe, November 18, 2012, 10:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bitaxe

I cut up a Cherry log that had been sitting on the ground for about 2 years. I was disappointed when I saw the dark streaks running through the grain. I'd never seen those before (I'm new to this) so I figured it was water rot. Searching this forum a bit lead me to suspect spalting. Fungus eh?

Do people value this for woodworking? Does it work well? What have people learned about working with spalted wood? Any advice would be appreciated. 
Tom Jefferson
DIY Timber Frame
tom@diytimberframe.com

Okrafarmer

OOOO, I've never seen spalted cherry before! Neat. I've had cherry logs to sit two years or more and they were still sound inside, but that was with them up off the ground.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

I am not sure that what you have is actually spalted.  Looks more like mineral streaks and pitch pockets.  Absolutely gorgeous, though!  I would love to makle something with it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

2bitaxe,I read your signature,Anything is possible to a willing mind,I read it as, Anything is possible to a MILLING mind. :D
The cherry does look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

I have seen it called pitch pockets like WDH, too.  And I like the way it looks. :)  If you have a couple hundred BF of it, a woodworker could make a distinctive piece of furniture from it for sure.

I have seen spalting in cherry sapwood before, but not into the heart.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

2bitaxe

Spalting, pitch pockets, mineral streaks... I have a lot to learn. It seems to be mostly in the sapwood and outer heartwood. The core of the log is pretty much free and clear of any streaking. Are there any resources out there where I can learn about mineral stain and some of the other stuff you guys experience while milling?

I found a post by Jeff re: mineral stain but the link is dead: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17497.msg251796.html#msg251796

Also, Larry said, "And right out of the rule book....Mineral Streak "An olive to greenish-black or brown discoloration of undetermined cause in hardwoods".

Any logger worth his salt knows where the mineral stained trees are and also where they are relatively free of stain.  Most people don't appreciate a big ugly black lines in the middle of there mega-buck kitchen cabinets."

So, is this good or bad? I'm wondering if I should take the time to mill it up and dry it or just leave it and get some fresh logs. Larry makes it sound like these trees grow in a certain area and a logger can avoid these trees. Should I be avoiding these trees if I hope to resell or use the lumber?

Sorry for all the questions. It's hard to google "mineral stain in cherry" without getting products to stain cherry; not what I'm looking for!
Tom Jefferson
DIY Timber Frame
tom@diytimberframe.com

2bitaxe

Quote from: thecfarm on November 19, 2012, 08:02:01 AM
2bitaxe,I read your signature,Anything is possible to a willing mind,I read it as, Anything is possible to a MILLING mind. :D
The cherry does look good.

Nice! Maybe that should go on my business cards! TM by thecfarm.
Tom Jefferson
DIY Timber Frame
tom@diytimberframe.com

Tree Feller

I agree with WDH that what you have is Cherry with mineral stains and pitch pockets, not spalting. Sara Robinson has written a series of blogs and articles for Fine Woodworking Magazine on spalting. She is a bon-a-fide expert on the subject (PhD). She also has her own site called Northern Spalting for more info.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/blogs/tag/spalting

As for what to do with that log, by all means saw it into lumber. Commercial cabinetmakers may not care for it but I'll assure you that just about any woodworker would love to have it...me included. That sort of character in an already highly desirable wood only increases it's value to people making one-off furniture.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

grweldon

In past years when I somehow seemed to have more time, I made small boxes from beautiful (expensive) exotics and highly-figured domestics like Claro Walnut and quilted, curly and flame Maple.  I am always looking for interesting and unusual figure like what you have.  I would guess that the cant you pictured is about 8x8 or larger.  I haven't seen any quite like that for sale anywhere, but what I have seen as far as curly cherry, when dry (~10% MC) can go for as much as $25 per board foot or possibly more.  You might not be able to get that much, but if I were to buy some, I would consider $8-$10 to be a great deal and would be pleased as punch!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Larry

I've sawed cherry like that before and called those gum streaks.  Most of the time it's not that bad.  Maybe my terminology was wrong and should have called it mineral.  I think I have some pictures someplace.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Al_Smith

I have a very small amount of what I think is spalted cherry .It's only two or three small logs .The lumber exibits a very rich reddish brown character to it much different than greensawn cherry . However I'm one of those people who have no idea what the grain patterns might be unless it makes a trip through a planer.That I'd imagine might come from experiance.

Cherry is often refered to as "Americas mahogony " but I suppose that too is a matter of opinion . 

WDH

Anybody can get "plain jane" cherry  ;D.  Larry, gum streaks is another apt description. 

I like to make projects that are unique and that do not look like they came from a furniture store that buys furniture from a distributor that buys plywood and MDF furniture from China.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

Oh don't get me started on that plywood made in China .About a year ago I trotted over to Lowes because it's close and bought 3 sheets of oak plywood .Looked okay except the veneer was thin .

Then after I cut a few pieces I noticed that made in China label and went ballistic .How in the world can they ship midwestern white oak to China ,make plywood and ship it right back to Ohio where it's likely the oak came from originally cheaper than it can be made right here . ???

Soooo more to that .Next go round I boogied down to a better quality lumber yard ,fact the best stuff in this area .Talked to a salesman I've dealt with for years about this imported hardwood plywood .He just kinda hung his head  and said ,Al you got two choices ,China or South America .Now don't that just suck with a half life .  >:(

WDH

It does at that.  Pitiful, just pitiful.  I hate that sandply stuff from Brazil, too.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 20, 2012, 07:26:47 AM
How in the world can they ship midwestern white oak to China ,make plywood and ship it right back to Ohio where it's likely the oak came from originally cheaper than it can be made right here . ???

Cheap labor, no unions, no environmental regulations, very little QA/QC and an American public that will buy the stuff because that's what is available.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

I guess if you don't want to buy it, you'll need to start making your own. "Why not roll your own?" Or in this case, maybe, "Why not UNroll your own?"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Al_Smith

Well I suppose I could but have you ever tried to laminate say 1/4" over say 1/2" to make 3/4" .I have and not only does it take about a pick up truck full of clamps it's a pain in the buttocks .Just try it out sometime and let us know how it goes . ;)

At the better quality yard the salesman told me the hardwood veneers 5/8" and below came out of Canada and I have no problem with that at all .Canada and the US have had just about equal and open trade for years then they decided to throw Mexico in the mix .Now the rascals are trying to get a pacific thing .Hang on to your hats if those pot lickers pass that one .@#$^&* butt holes >:(

Lud

Cherry, when growing in competion with another species , may be stressed and develop  black specks randomly (oil pockets) and also shows a chartreuse rim to the outer cambium. 

I figure it's like bird'seye maple to regular maple only I call it speckled cherry as to regular cherry.

I've turned a number of bowls from the stock I have.  pretty striking.  Glad I'm sitting on 15-20 more. :) :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Jeff

Quote from: 2bitaxe on November 19, 2012, 09:49:33 AM

I found a post by Jeff re: mineral stain but the link is dead: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17497.msg251796.html#msg251796

That's the problem when you link to any off-site content beyond your control. :-\

I found the document again in the next place theyt moved it to.
http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-90-W.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 20, 2012, 07:26:47 AM
Oh don't get me started on that plywood made in China .About a year ago I trotted over to Lowes because it's close and bought 3 sheets of oak plywood .Looked okay except the veneer was thin .

Then after I cut a few pieces I noticed that made in China label and went ballistic .How in the world can they ship midwestern white oak to China ,make plywood and ship it right back to Ohio where it's likely the oak came from originally cheaper than it can be made right here . ???

Soooo more to that .Next go round I boogied down to a better quality lumber yard ,fact the best stuff in this area .Talked to a salesman I've dealt with for years about this imported hardwood plywood .He just kinda hung his head  and said ,Al you got two choices ,China or South America .Now don't that just suck with a half life .  >:(
I've heard they saw the lumber on ships and make the plywood on ships from China in our waters. So it really isn't coming from China just off there boats. I will only buy domestic plywood for my shop. China plywood is bad!

Okrafarmer

Can you find domestic plywood?

Sawdust Lover

I bought 10 sheets yesterday. I usually have to order it but you can still buy anywhere around Va.

Thank You Sponsors!