iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My DIY bandsaw mill

Started by longframe200, January 18, 2018, 04:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longframe200

I'm new and would like to say thank you alot for a nice forum.

I am currently in the final stages of completing a mobile bandsaw mill. Basically, the saw is built according to drawings purchased from "Texas Ben" some changes have been made with ideas by me, the internet and this forum.

The mill is 6 meters with the possibility to extend by 1 meter. Can take logs up to 85-90 centimeters, block width is 75 centimeters. 3,2 centimeter band blade on 50 centimeter pulley, 15 HP petrol engine.

Thank you alot everyone!

Texas Ben:
https://youtu.be/-eqwZb4D9r8

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."  "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  - Mark Twain

jwade

welcome to the forum long frame nice to have you here. a beautiful build, and hope to see more of it in use.

SwampDonkey

Just wanted to mention that your youtube settings has disabled the video to be played on the forum.

But, in the meantime welcome to the forum.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Welcome, nice looking mill you got there.  How many hours do you think you got in the build.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum and Congratulations on building a very professional sawmill.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wesdor

Welcome to the Forum Longframe. Very nice looking build.

Sweden is a big country, what part do you live in? 

Looking forward to seeing your mill in action.

FloridaMike

Very nice build!  Great fabrication, welding and paint!   Do you plan on covers/shields/scrappers for the carriage wheels, to prevent sawdust buildup?
Mike

samandothers

Wow very nice. You have done a great job!

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

longframe200

Thank you everyone!

I live in Sundsvall, in the middle of Sweden.
So far, I have been working on the saw 2 months, around 7-8 hours 5 days a week.
All parts of the saw are finished and painted. I have just started assembling everything.
"Do you plan on covers / shields / scrappers for the carriage wheels, to prevent sawdust buildup?" I do not, the wheels are U shaped and the rails are square shaped, so the U is riding on the edges. But maybe I have to compliment with covers / shields / scrappers time will show.

Tom

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."  "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  - Mark Twain

longframe200

Mounting continues, including bandsaw wheel adjustment.

longframe200

The sawmill is ready and the saw test went very well after a small adjustment of the band guides. I will surely upload a movie later, but first it must be a bit less winter, I live in northern Sweden.

Crusarius

That looks really nice. Definitely stout. Do the jacks come out for transport? How wide did your bed end up?

Ljohnsaw

That sure is a purdy machine!  In the last picture above, is that section of track leaning against the wall meant to be installed over the hitch?  That's a great idea!

A few posts back you responded to questions about wipers for your track.  I have a similar setup (with no wipers) and noticed that a little sawdust can sit on the top edge of the metal and it gets squished into the wheel.  After a few thousand board feet milled, I had to dig some out so it would push just a little bit easier.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

longframe200

Thank you!

Yes stout it is :)
The jacks can easily be changed to horizontal position.
90cm wide is the bed.
After the test run today I see that wipers will be needed.
"In the last picture above, is that section of track leaning against the wall meant to be installed over the hitch?" Yes, that's right, thought it was good and simple like that.

Crusarius

thats a good idea. I thought about a hinged section that fold onto the bed during transport then unfolds for carriage parking.

Then I thought I have 24' how much more do I really need?

millwright

Nice job, very professional looking

ncsawyer

Building a nice mill like that has to be a very satisfying experience.  You may find you have more fun building the mill than sawing logs
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

longframe200

Thank you!

The trailer / bed is 19.6 feet and I need 24 feet, so this was the easiest solution.

Yes, it has been very fun and satisfying to build the saw, also very fun and satisfying when testing the saw :)

longframe200

I'm building a sharpening machine for my band saw blade.
Now I wonder if anyone can help me find the right shape on the cam wheel? Perhaps a template on the cam wheel shape. The machine should be able to be adjusted to different tooth profiles.

Hilltop366

How much do cam wheels cost? might be worth it to buy them?

If you use a profile shaped cbn wheel you would only need a up/down cam but it would require a different wheel for each blade profile and a cooling system.

longframe200

Thank you, but the machine should be able to be adjusted to different tooth profiles.

longframe200

After a night of searching on internet, I found this cam wheel shape, after I compared to images on factory produced sharpening machine, I think it should work really well.

longframe200

I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to run a 1.5 inch band saw blade on B profile belt?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Sawmill Man

Yes you can run a 1.5 inch blade on a b series belt.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Thank You Sponsors!