iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3D printing and woodworking ( Watcha printing ? )

Started by 21incher, November 15, 2023, 07:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Well today I needed a couple feet and handles for a project and a couple hours later here they are. Just love being able to slice, load, and run prints from the couch on my tablet . Got a loaf of bread almos5 done too  ;D.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

I bet TPU would make great feet. I should get some to play with for that.

beenthere

Quote from: 21incher on November 27, 2023, 11:57:21 AM
Well today I needed a couple feet and handles for a project and a couple hours later here they are. Just love being able to slice, load, and run prints from the couch on my tablet . Got a loaf of bread almos5 done too  ;D.

Hope that loaf of bread taste's great. Or does it taste like plastic and just looks like a loaf of bread?? :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

Thanks 21incher.  Liam downloaded it this morning before he left for school and will print it when he gets home.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on November 27, 2023, 12:55:06 PM
I bet TPU would make great feet. I should get some to play with for that.
I bought a roll of clear tpu for another project but was to lazy to change the filament.  That would mean going downstairs  :D so I just ran them all with what was in the machine.  

Quote from: beenthere on November 27, 2023, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: 21incher on November 27, 2023, 11:57:21 AM
Well today I needed a couple feet and handles for a project and a couple hours later here they are. Just love being able to slice, load, and run prints from the couch on my tablet . Got a loaf of bread almos5 done too  ;D.
Hope that loaf of bread taste's great. Or does it taste like plastic and just looks like a loaf of bread?? :D :D
Tastes like Hard white and Emmer grains with some honey  digin_2. I am learning  to multitask running machines while I nap in my old age :D. Nothing like waking up to the smell of fresh bread and a pile of parts.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

We have learned to sleep with the sound of the printer running all night long.  It sits in the loft outside our bedroom.  Liam will often start a print that takes all night before he goes to bed.  Occasionally I will get up in the middle of the night to turn it off after it has finished printing.  We have a little Ender Pro 5 and he wants something better, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

Just becareful of the filaments you let him use if it's running close to a sleeping area. All 3d printing gives off VOCs. Supposedly PLA is safe to inhale the VOCS but just about every other type filament emits toxins that aren't  good for you. 

21incher

First packout done. Designed and printed a carbide burr holder. I know I have atleast 6 more burrs but not having them organized has sent them to black holes. More handles in the works. 

Here's proof the bread is not plastic  :D

Tomorrow is jerky day. 

Crusarius

firefighter ontheside

The Blink Sync is now mounted to the wall instead of sitting on the counter.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwingOak

Probably one of my favorite things I've designed - an insert to cover the seatbelt cutting knives on a Kershaw Barricade. It's intended to be an emergency vehicle extraction tool with a spring assisted opening blade, seatbelt cutter, and glass breaker.

However, the seatbelt cutter knives don't really work that great unless you're trying to cut some strapping that's really tight, and it tends to catch on my pocket.

So I came up with this insert to fill the knife gap. It's easy to remove and install and is held firmly in place by the spring catch.

I have two of these knives, and my girlfriend has one (she got hers first and I liked it so much I got one too, then I lost mine, so I bought another, and then I found the one I lost). Fits all three perfectly!

21incher

That's a great solution.  I like that knife and thought I would add one to my other Kershaws after seeing yours. Well turns out we can no longer have nice things in NY. For some reason no one will ship Kershaw knives to NY at this point. I wonder what changed  :( .

firefighter ontheside

That's a cool thing to make.  I've been in fire service for 31 years and have only needed to cut a seatbelt once.  Of course I've had lots of devices with little cutters like that, but have never used them.  The one time I needed to cut the seatbelt was a pregnant lady in a car who was bleeding badly and we needed to get her out quickly.  The problem was the very *pithed off pitbull in the back seat didnt' want us there.  I just used my knife from my pocket to cut the belt so we could get her out and close the door.  Had to have animal control come for the dog.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

Those seat belt cutters work great. The trick to cutting with them is to go diagonally across the webbing if you try to go straight it just snags.

Yes, NYS is afraid of everything. Legally unless you are a first responder or law enforcement, spring assisted opening knives are illegal. Because of that I found trying to get cheap knives on amazon is impossible because they will no longer ship to NY. Pretty sure if it is sharper than a dull butter knife they won't ship to NY now.

doc henderson

sadly, the majority of the state are just about like guys from Ks.  shoot and hunt.  The city and some in Albany, should just move to CA and get it over with.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwingOak

I've found the China made Kershaw knives need some final fitting and finishing. Disassemble, clean, and gently sand down the Teflon & UHMW washers (one on each side) for the blade so that the Chicago screw for the blade pivot doesn't clamp down too tightly on the blade. Then a drop of oil or dry moly lube on the blade pivot and a little purple Loctite on all the screws on reassembly. After that, they open with one finger and the blade doesn't wobble. 

The screws come loose in short order on the factory ones, and the blade is either so tight you can't open it, or so loose there's a lot of side to side play. 

21incher

Working on the next packout box for my installation tool. Switched to black and had some issues with the back insert top layer. Slowed down the top layer speed some and then added ironing on the front one and red insert. They came out nice and 3 more inserts to go to finish this. 

Heading for 200 hours on the printer with no problems yet. Finding out simple slicer changes are required when switching material colors.

RetiredTech

I've got the Creality Ender 3 and a cheaper clone of the same. I printed enclosures for my Raspberry Pi projects and assorted parts and pieces. The biggest thing was a top to fit on a 2 drive usb toaster with a fan for active drive cooling and a Rock64 SBC running Open Media Vault with two 8TB sata drives. I still use it for my media storage server. I haven't touched either printer in over a year now. I'll probably have to relearn everything once I do get back to it.
  Trying to build and learn to use my mill has taken up most of my free time for a good while now. I do miss watching the little printers slowly build up parts, one line at a time.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

21incher

Second case down 2 to go. Getting pretty good prints now. Finished the installation driver case.

<br
Next up the rotary tool 

Needed  to mount  an outlet strip on a pole so printed 4 -2 inch long spacers  with the pole  radius and double sided  taped them to the outlet then double sided  taped them to the pole. A couple worm clamps holding it until the tape cures.

doc henderson

not sure it will cure with all that alcohol in the background. smiley_beertoast!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on December 04, 2023, 06:16:32 PM
not sure it will cure with all that alcohol in the background. smiley_beertoast!
Only 10 gallons waiting to be bottled. 5 of hard cider and 5 of an experimental concord / elderberry wine.  thumbs-up.

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 04, 2023, 07:22:46 PM
Looks fantastic! Nice job 21incher.

Thanks,  I bought  the files and am just having fun printing them to figure the printer out. Have a bunch of other ideas for my packout boxes to design and try next. I wonder why Milwaukee never came up with inserts like this. They sure would  be a money maker.

Crusarius

So when is the bottling? Maybe I will be available to help alleviate some work? :)

21incher

Some m12 battery holders. Found some nice wall mtg brackets and designed a carrying handle for it. Will eventually mount in a shelf upright that holde my m12 and m18 batteries.  Just having too much fun with this machine.

Larry

I used to make cell phone holsters out of ABS plastic and aluminum.  I would make a few prototypes on a Bridgeport and than a friend would make a small production run on a CNC router.  They were better than anything out there and the ABS was tough as nails.  Got tired of doing it because it seemed like a different size phone would be introduced daily.  On top of that, some folks wanted a protective case on the phone which added another variable.

I would think 3D printing might be the way to make them.  I'm not interested in pursuing it as it is way over my head. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!