iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Catios

Started by Brad_bb, March 10, 2024, 09:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Catio like the word patio, only for cats to go outside as they wish.

This is my first one made of Ash and plywood.  3 guys worked on it so we could get it done quickly.  It's been in service for about a year and a half, but we just got the metal roof on 2 weeks ago.  It's on the North side of the building otherwise it would be too hot in summer.  The best wire mesh for a catio is one with  bigger holes and coated black as that tends to make the wire much less visible. This is 2"x3" black coated wire fencing from the garden dept at Lowes.  The tabs used to hold the mesh are stainless fence clips with stainless screws.  With a double hung window, I made a plywood insert with foam weather strip that fits in the lower outside area.  No screws needed to hold it.  There's a pet door in the plywood, and you can still open and close the lower sash.  So in winter when it is too cold, you can close the window when you don't want them out there.  They learned to use the pet door fairly quickly.  5 cats, and 2 of them were kittens last
fall.  It took them 3-4 months before they figured it out.

The actual catio is 4'x8' with plywood shelf levels and some hard maple logs I wrapped in sisal rope.

My mom had a catio built for her elderly cat but that cat passed on at the end of the summer.  She was going to get rid of the catio, but I said NO I'll take it.  It was build by a handyman near her from cedar.  it was only 4.5' high and had no floor and insufficient reinforcement.  So I completely rebuilt it using only the orginal frame and build a strong pallet type floor and added members and braces and got rid of the hardware cloth so I can use the black mesh that works better.  I'm making it as tall as my other one so I build the Roof section you see to add on top.  I need to add all the shelving inside next, and then paint it.

This is the cat's view from the catio.  The horses can com to about 3 feet from the tunnel.  2 of the cats are very comfortable with these geldings.  I've taken them out to the horses many times.  The 2 are not afraid of them.  The horses are gentle and good with them too.  They've had cats in their pen, and juvenile foxes, and they do not go after them.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

That's cool! Don't tell my sister, or I'll have to build her one! ffcheesy
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

They must enjoy that!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Nice set up. Need any hired help?  Do you offer a barn apartment as part of the package? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

They love it.  They're in and out all the time.  If I'm with the horses, they're out there watching and asking to come out out.  At least this way, If I don't have time to take them out for a walk...they can be outside, if they are not busy relaxing.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

looking for a southsideo Jim? ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!