iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edgers...Do they pay to have?

Started by flip, October 17, 2005, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I have purchased a B-20 and have the opportunity to get a talon edger for a little extra cabbage.  I will start cutting more with the new mill and hope to expand my fledgling business.  I am cutting almost everything barn wood decking, and grade for my own stash.  I may start cutting palet wood for a small circle mill operation.  The only problem is the engine is missing from the edger.  What is a reasonable $$ for a Talon edger-a few years old, good shape with no mojo?  The engine will probably run a grand or so.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Bibbyman

When you're sawing every day and have a couple of people working the mill,  an edger is probably a better investment than a bigger, more productive mill.  One person can be doing the edging while you keep on sawing.  But if you're sawing alone on a small mill,  then an edger won't bring much to the party.

I don't have a guess as to the value of a Talon edger with out power.  It'd depend on the overall condition.  If you are sawing stationary and can use an electric motor vs. gas engine,  then that'd be the I'd go with an electric motor. Probably take at least 10hp – 15hp would be better.

I'm sure someone at TimberKing could give you some guidelines as to what a used unit would be worth and how much it'd take to get this one back up and working.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SawDust_Studios

I agree with Bib.  I bought a used woodmizer edger on ebay (180 hrs  8) )  I've only put about 25 hrs on it so far, but it's been a real productive 25 hrs.

I usually have either my dad or brother in law helping me saw, so with 2 people, the edger really increases production.  You find yourself sawing a bit differently knowing you don't have to put the boards back on the mill to edge them.  I was heavily weighing going to a bigger super hydraulic mill, but I think this was a better next step.

You can still use it yourself, just much easier to edge as you go.  If I'm by myself. I make a pile to edge at the end of the day.

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Bibbyman

We do use the edger when just one person is sawing.  Just that there is not a lot of production increase like there is with two or more people working the operation. 

When just Mary or I are sawing alone,  we'll edge after every log if there is more than a couple of flitches.  If there is only one or two,  we'll saw another log, maybe two, before edging. We just don't want them to pile up.

There are a number of little tricks to edging on the mill that make the job easier and faster.  But that's another topic.  :P
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

BBTom

I paid just under 3 grand for an old talon edger without power.  Found an old kubota 20 HP engine to power it for $500.  I would be happier with a brand new Baker edger, but I could afford this one!! 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

ARKANSAWYER

If you have help they will pay for themselves.  My edger added another 200 to 300 bdft a day and saved a blade.  But that is when I had help.  Solo it would not have paid for it's self.   When I get to where I can have 3ph power I am going to change it over to a 15hp electric motor.  Mine is mobile now and I take it on the road for large jobs as it does save time and blades.
ARKANSAWYER

SawDust_Studios

That is something else you have to consider.  So far, I haven't taken the edger off site, except for 1 large job 4000 bdft that was just down the road. 

For a 1000 bdft or so, I can still accomplish it without the edger and it is another piece of equipment to haul AND run at $3.00 a gallon. >:( >:(

While it can be used solo, I wouldn't buy one for that purpose. In fact, the reason I got this one with LOW hrs is the guy was solo and he said it just didn't pay for him.  It was just as easy to edge on his WM super.

I've heard the argument at a few shows.  What is better for production?  Another helper, an edger, or a bigger mill?  And in what order?  Talk about another thread!!! :o :o

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Larry

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 17, 2005, 04:43:42 PM
But if you're sawing alone on a small mill,  then an edger won't bring much to the party.

Plus another machine to feed and maintain.  I bought a Corley...works well with two people but I am a one man band for couple of reasons.  It hasn't ran for a few years.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dail_h

Once again, I'm the odd man out,I work by myself,and love my edger. I HATE EDGING ON THE MILL. Most times,I'll edgeup a coupla times a day,feed one in ,stack one while it's sawing,feed - stack till I'm done.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Corley5

Couldn't imagine being without one.  Edging on the mill is a pain in the butt
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Percy

Up here in Northern B.C., we cut mainly softwoods which means slower feed rates....usually. When Im working alone, I can get the cut underway, and while thats happenin, I edge a board on the edger.   For instance, if you are using a walk along type Woodmizer, set the edger perpendicular to the mill about midway on the sawdust side. After you finish the cut leave the flitch where it is untill you finish giggin back. Before you start your next cut, spin the just cut flitch so it is perpendicular to the log, and , hopefully pointing diredtly at the edger infeed table. Start your next cut, and quickly edge the flitch while the saw is on "autopilot". Repeat untill you are so tired that you have to go home and sharpen blades :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

flip

I went ahead and bought the danG thing.  I may have opened Pandora's box though.  I was told by a local circle miller a guy will deliver logs to my place for me to saw and pick up the lumber later.  This edger may get a work out soon. :D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Thank You Sponsors!