iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crane mats

Started by saymoe1984, December 30, 2014, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saymoe1984

Does anyone know what size mats will support a c5 Treefarmer forwarder with two cord of oak crossing a creek ? I'm thinking of trying to make some it would be nice if the c5 could haul them and set them too. Any opinions will be appreciated thank you.

treeslayer2003

i use 5x24 and 4x30 made from 8x10 oak. they have held any thing i have including a clark 666. you may get away a bit lighter.....maybe 6x8. be sure to use oak unless you only need them for a short time.

saymoe1984

Do you support those in the middle or just span bank to bank?

treeslayer2003

bank to bank but i like at least 20% or so on the bank. with the 540 i think 10% be fine.

saymoe1984

Very helpful definitely using oak. I've seen 16 footers set double long supported in the middle with an other stack of  mats. Not sure if that's safe for a forwarder. 24 to 30 footers will be tough to handle. But it is better to be too long than too short .

barbender

I don't k ow what your c5's crane lift capacity is, but mats are really heavy. The Ponsse Buffalo I used to run struggled to load them, now I have a Buffalo King with a higher lift capacity crane. I can set mats off the end of the machine with this one. With the Buffalo, you could only reach far enough to clear the bunks and set them off.
Too many irons in the fire

treeslayer2003

Quote from: saymoe1984 on December 30, 2014, 09:56:37 PM
Very helpful definitely using oak. I've seen 16 footers set double long supported in the middle with an other stack of  mats. Not sure if that's safe for a forwarder. 24 to 30 footers will be tough to handle. But it is better to be too long than too short .
i can grapple a 4x30 with the 540 and back it over........she front light though lol. no that way don't sound to sporty.

cutter88

We used 2 50" x 24' matts made from 10x10 poplar and crossed it with 640 d with 8 hardwood on behind
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

craigc

I bought some mats 4ft wide 8" thick and 18 foot long.  I usually put a few small logs under them and throw them on top.  They support my Rottne SMV and it hauls around 15 ton.   

Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

Thank You Sponsors!