iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No more skidder for me!

Started by Woodhauler, April 15, 2013, 05:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Sold my C5D yesturday! Going to replace it with a mid size 4 wheel drive tractor with a cab! More user freindly around my place!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

Buying new,used. What size,hp? Don't get those R4 tires. They are no good. I brought a used tractor and they had them on it. I had AG before and why what a difference in these R4. I really hate them. Might just as well as tuff tires on. Mud and snow is the problem. Get 8 plys tire too. Looking for a 3 pt winch too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Good for you, I hope you got the $ that you wanted for the skidder,
On the tractor get all the horses you can, that will give all the lift and pull that you can get, mine is 80 horse and less would not be fun :D and 80 is not enough some times, and I do like a cab and a green one too ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 15, 2013, 06:09:56 AM
On the tractor get all the horses you can, that will give all the lift and pull that you can get, mine is 80 horse and less would not be fun :D and 80 is not enough some times, and I do like a cab and a green one too ;D
Well i have a soft spot for green tractors! Thats all my grandfather ever ran on the farm! I am going to shop for the one i want, either good used or new. Most likely a good used one!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Woodhauler

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2013, 06:05:25 AM
Buying new,used. What size,hp? Don't get those R4 tires. They are no good. I brought a used tractor and they had them on it. I had AG before and why what a difference in these R4. I really hate them. Might just as well as tuff tires on. Mud and snow is the problem. Get 8 plys tire too. Looking for a 3 pt winch too?
Real tires and a winch! Might only yard my firewood, but a winch would be nice.

mad murdock

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 15, 2013, 06:16:45 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 15, 2013, 06:09:56 AM
Well i have a soft spot for green tractors! Thats all my grandfather ever ran on the farm! I am going to shop for the one i want, either good used or new. Most likely a good used one!
Green tractors!?! I didn't know you can buy a new Oliver! Cool ;D
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

North River Energy

WH,
Neighbor would like to sell his Deere 5075e, if that would fit your needs.

sawguy21

murdock, you are  troublemaker :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

scottmphoto

I wish I had 4wd on my tractor, it would make things easier. I run a 1943 Ford 9N. It was affordable, easy to work on and I can still buy brand new parts for it. It has done everything that I have asked it to do and I skid my logs out of the woods with it. I do other things around my place and I like that I can get between trees that a skidder would run over, so I run a low impact operation. And, it's good on gas so it's cheaper to operate.

thecfarm

We use to use a 1954 in the woods. Did a good job,but a rock on the left front tire and a fresh cut stump on the right tire and there we would be. Have to back up and set over a little and go on. Sometimes was a little hard to move the trail over too,due to a rock or a tree or uneven ground. I can remember my Father putting in some pieces of wood to smooth out uneven ground. We use to use chains than. My Father was the driver and I was the chain man. We would bring up 2-3 16 foot chains. Sometimes I would have all 3 hooked together. Go forward as far as we could,sometimes only 6 feet and re hook again.We would loop the chains around the top of the 4pt hitch.
Than he brought a 40hp Ford with a 3pt winch. That made life so much easier. I wished he would of brought it sooner in life so he could of enjoyed it for more than 4 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 15, 2013, 05:54:49 AM
Sold my C5D yesturday! Going to replace it with a mid size 4 wheel drive tractor with a cab! More user freindly around my place!

Interested to see what you wind up with.  A winch or 3 pt log grapple would certainly be nice.  I like the idea of the log grapple on a larger tractor like that when you have access to back right up to the tree.  I bet a winch would be more useful overall though, one day I'll find out  :D

The new E series JD are available with cab and powershift options, haven't seen one in person but they sound like a good value.   ;)

I myself would be purchasing the new Case-IH 75C Farmall if I was ready to bite the bullet on a new tractor.  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ed_K

When I bought the landini, the guard for the front drive shaft and the fuel tank over the engine was the biggest concern.Most 60hp and up have plastic fuel tank on the side of the machine.
I have had to beef up the guard after hitting a stump or 2  ;D .
Ed K

thecfarm

I've noticed the fuel tanks too. And some are putting those hyd filter low too. Not a good thing in the woods and if it's a hdyo too. :o

Thank You Sponsors!