iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Sugar 2022

Started by Corley5, November 23, 2021, 11:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Time for the 2022 Maple Thread :) ;D  The season is fast approaching.  My son has been tasked with checking our inventory of spiles and fittings.  We aren't adding anything this season just running on the almost 1600 taps we had last year.  We added this

It'll do 600 gph to 12% in one pass.  It alleviates the bottleneck with our present 250 gph to 10% machine.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

how many SGUs was that bad boy?
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Just a couple  ;) ;D :)  We're all set to switch to fuel oil from wood and this was/is part of that but with the present cost of oil we'll use wood again this season.  Maybe oil next year.  The evaporator will make it through this season with the old fire bricks but will have to be re-done if we chose wood for 2023.  Maybe we'll go to oil then ???  We have the ceramic blanket and new insul board for the oil conversion.   

Magicman

I wish you the best with whatever you do because you surely do make some goood syrup!!   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Ed_K

We decided to replace some of our main line tubing it's like 15 yrs old black plastic. After going to a tubing class by CDL we decided to keep with the 1/2" black but went with 12.5 gage wire to hang it on. The cdl guy said that as long as you have tight lines and a good drop in elevation to keep the sap from pooling we'd be ok. I'm dang glad I didn't get 9 gage wire, the 12.5 is bad enough to work with. The one thing that we didn't realize was that the industry has changed the rules again and most 5/16 side line fittings that hook into the main line is for 3/4" pipe, not 1/2" so I only have one type of fitting I can use, and they'll probably discontinue that on me  :(.
Ed K

newoodguy78

That's aggravating when they do that sort of thing. 

mike_belben

i chickened out of mainline this year and will probably spend as much on buckets and chasing my own tail as the mainline woulda costed.  
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

"600 gph to 12% in one pass"? Dang!

Checked lines the other day and had to pull some limbs that came down in wind storms etc but nothing too bad. Whatever ate my green 3/16 tubing last year must be dead or moved on somewhere with better tasting plastic, nothing chewed that I could find this time. Nothing has chewed either of the two types of blue stuff except a couple drops the first year. Sample size of one but I'll stick to the blue stuff for now :D

Plankton

Quote from: mike_belben on December 10, 2021, 06:14:09 PM
i chickened out of mainline this year and will probably spend as much on buckets and chasing my own tail as the mainline woulda costed.  
Black waterpipe from ag supply store etc. Is pretty darn cheap per ft. That's what the couple large (10k+ gals per yr.) Producers I've worked for run.

mike_belben

What do they use to pipe laterals into water pipe mainline?
Praise The Lord

wiam

We call them "saddles" Mike. https://bascommaple.com/search?type=product&q=Mainline*+saddle*

And FYI not many available for 1/2" pipe

wiam

Corley, nice new RO. I have a 2 post CDL. I go to about 10% first pass and close to 20 second

mike_belben

okay, so a genuine saddle tap doesnt mind going into a generic water tube.. cool.  smiley_thumbsup
Praise The Lord

wiam

Correct Mike. Most black mainline we use is just water pipe. 

Stephen1

Quote from: mike_belben on December 12, 2021, 10:19:52 AM
okay, so a genuine saddle tap doesnt mind going into a generic water tube.. cool.  smiley_thumbsup
I like the red stripe black, for sure food grade. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mapleman

Also I've used the 3/4" CDL saddles on 1/2" mainline with good success.  I leave their closure open at the bottom and attach the fitting to the mainline with wire ties - the top is wide enough for the ties and there's a couple of grooves for the wire to sit in.  Oh and you have to drill a 5/16" hole in the top of the mainline for the fitting.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

IndiLina

Temps are right in NC so I put some taps in.   

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Dan_Shade

Dumb question, do you just drill a hole and push in a tube for the jug on a tree method? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

IndiLina

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 15, 2022, 07:49:06 PM
Dumb question, do you just drill a hole and push in a tube for the jug on a tree method?
I drilled holes, gently pounded in a plastic tap, then attached the tubing to the tap. I do plan on testing out just inserting the tube into the drilled hole next, as I'm out of taps. 

Stephen1

Quote from: IndiLina on January 15, 2022, 08:19:55 PM
I drilled holes, gently pounded in a plastic tap, then attached the tubing to the tap. I do plan on testing out just inserting the tube into the drilled hole next, as I'm out of taps.
You coulld do that for sure, the sap will even run down the outside of tube...
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

IndiLina

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 16, 2022, 10:46:53 AM
Quote from: IndiLina on January 15, 2022, 08:19:55 PM
You coulld do that for sure, the sap will even run down the outside of tube...
I beveled the end of the tube to create a tighter fit. 

IndiLina

Chuck White

Now, that picture brings back some memories!

Thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

IndiLina

Quote from: Chuck White on January 23, 2022, 08:42:33 PM
Now, that picture brings back some memories!

Thanks for posting!
First time using my grandpa's old boiling pan I saw him use when I was a kid, so brought back some memories for me, too. 

Thank You Sponsors!