iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peepers

Started by thecfarm, April 25, 2014, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

We was on the way home and the wife heard them first. They are making a little noise at the end of the road. Where we heard them on the way home was a small frog pond. They was loud.At the end of the road is the outlet for the pond.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

I've got a small pond in the woods behind the house.
The peepers having been raising a ruckus for a week now. horn_smiley

I usually have a pair of  Wood Ducks back there in the Spring. This year, no Woody's, but there are three Mallards hanging out.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sprucebunny

I heard them over by the wet edge of a field  :)

Wood frogs started last Sunday. Last year it was March 25.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

JohnG28

I was driving over some back roads on the way to our camp in the Adirondacks last week when I passed a spot that was roaring with peepers. I had to smile thinking the winter is finally over and summer is coming!   ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

OH Boy

When the peepers peep, your syrup/sugaring season is officially over. Must be a temperature thing.

Corley5

There's still ice on our frog ponds  :-\ :( :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

On the sap,not a drop for more than a week. We had below freezing temps a week ago Thursday-Friday. Been above freezing since. A little cool here now. We can not hear them up at the house,yet. But maybe in a few days,more will join in and make more noise. Black flies will be next.
Corley,the ice is just about all gone in the bigger ponds. Any ice is mostly on one end of the ponds now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

my grandma always told me that when you first hear them there will be 3 more  cold spells down in the low teens to single digits over 4-6 week range then it will be spring  don't know how true it is and never had time to do the study what does anyone else think ;D ;D

thecfarm

As I say sounds good.
But alot of those are true too. Maybe the teens for temps in your area,probably the 20's here.

breederman

I always heard that the peepers have to get froze 3 times.  I just hung up the phone with my dad in Florida and I was talking to him about that.  He had forgotten, I told him he has been down there too long.!
Together we got this !

Woodboogah

We had a big fire a couple weekends ago down in the back field on the edge of the swamp and the friends we had over could not believe how loud the peepers were.  Puts me right to sleep at night!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

clww

Had one last night outside our bedroom window.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

First swallow arrived here yesterday. Saw a pair of turkey vultures to, flew/soared over my head. Have not heard any frogs yet. Those little frogs can stand the cold and can survive freezing actually. I can't drive up to the woodlot yet, so I don't suspect we will here the frogs until next week. This rain will wake them up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

you still have snow up there

SwampDonkey

Yes, still snow here in the woods and fence rows. But by the end of next week there won't be much in this area. Mars Hill (in Maine) in view of my place has a lot of bare ground on it. It's mostly hardwoods up there. The plowed fields here are drying out fast.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!