iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of logs

Started by Kenny.jenkins, July 04, 2017, 08:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny.jenkins

I live in west Tennessee. I've recently bought a wood mizer LT 15 and have been doing some custom sawing and milling a few logs off my small farm. If I were to start buying a few logs how would I know the the going price to give for it? Is there a web site that that will give the market price of logs? The mills would have to have a way to keep up with the market. 
Kenny

paul case

I like to be competitive with local mills on price of logs that I use so I call other mills near me and ask them what they pay for logs. Some even advertise their prices and specs in our local classified news paper.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Kenny,

Be sure to contact the local tree service people in your area and let them know what you are interested in as they may have some free or very cheap. They may even deliver if close by and especially if you give them a little gas money and such. They often have logs they have to get rid of. Good luck and enjoy the mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

I use a lot of tree service trees.  There are a couple of things to be aware of.  Yard trees can have metal so be prepared for that, especially at the bottom of the butt log.  Tree services tend to cut trees up to 5ft long or shorter to make it easy to load with their grapple and haul.  You would have to make relationships to find ones that can cut and haul longer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Peter Drouin

I tried tree service logs and for me there's too much Iron in them to make money out of them.
The other thing, not two logs are the same length.
For me, I make a call and the yard fills up with all the logs I want, and sometimes more than I want. :D :D
All it takes is a lot of $$$$ to stock up.

For me, it's how fast, Or less money per BF to make lumber. I find you can get free logs, 
But, If you have a lot of time into making lumber, You're not making $$$
If I spend time looking for steel or cutting to length I'm not making $$$

Way, way easier to call for wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!