iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first home made stuff. Log arch, winch stand,log loader (pics 2-06)

Started by Part_Timer, January 18, 2006, 09:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well I ran out of money and needed a log arch and a winch mount for my trailer.  I did some horse trading for the steel and most of the parts. I've never tried to make my own stuff on this scale before so it was a challange.  It has been about 15 years since I did any welding so one of the guys in the shop  keep an eye on me and checked out my welding to make sure I wouldn't kill myself.   :D I did have a lot of fun though.

I'm going to use the log arch behind a quad.  I got permission to salvage out of a woods that the timber company has been through.  The left quite a bit of good stuff laying around but I can't get the truck in to pile the logs up.  I'm going to use the arch to pile up what I can and a friend is going to come down with a skidsteer to move the big stuff.  ought to be fun.

The "headboard" as the guys in the shop call it is to use with the hand winch for now and I'll mount a powered winch on it later.  I want to get some expanded metal later and put on it so when you break a winch line you have something between you and it.  I've been hit with one and have no intention of doing it again.  Now I put my chaps on the line like Kirk said to do. (thanks Kirk)  The winch works nice for rolling logs up the back of the trailer.  The hand winch is slow but works fine and was FREE so I like it a lot.  Now all I need is a next project.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sprucebunny

Looks real good, PTimer  8)

I like the arch... I might make something like that. I particularly like the big tires.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Coon

Those big tires on your arch should make it for some easy manouvering of logs.  Looks like you did a good job.  Keep on building it saves you money and makes you money in the end. ;D
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Captain

Good looking job, Tom.  Now let's see some pictures of them in use!!

Captain

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Part_Timer

Thanks guys.

The big tires is because I had a spare for the trailer so I just bought another that size.  That way I have 2 spares for the trailer or 4 spares for the arch.  ;D ;D

I'd like to show it in action but I would have to weld pontoons on it.  It has rained everyother day here for 3 weeks.  It got cold enough to snow yesterday and today it is supposed to be 50 today and tomorrow. 

My mill has 2 inches of water around it.  YUCK.  I stuck the truck in the yard 3 times last week getting fire wood out for some neighbors.  I hate it when the wife has to take her truck and pull mine out.  She just gets that ha ha ha ha  look on her face.   ::) ::) ::)

I'll get pictures up though as soon as I get some cooperation from mother nature.

Thanks
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

getoverit

Its been lovely weather here in N.E. Florida, but things have happened in the last few days that have kept me busy and I havent been able to get out and do anything (see profile).

Today looks like another beautiful day here, so maybe I'll be able to get a few projects done while I can.

I really like the log arch Tom. Could use one of them myself. What did you use for the spindles? I've been thinking of building one similar to the Future Forestry arch, but cant quite decide if I wanted the weld on type spindles or the bolt on kind, and how heavy I should go with them.

Part_Timer

You just gota keep rubbing it in about that N.E. florida weather don't ya.  :D :D  You keep it up and I'm going to come down and stay till our weather straightens up.  June or so  :D

I bought a 3500lb axle off af a guy at work for $20.  it was brand new he just didn't want to fight fitting a break to it so he swaped axles under his trailer.   ::)

I took it and cut it off right at the spring mounts and welded the mounts straight to the arch frame. 

I bet I haven't fired up the mill up twice since the first of December.  I'm still waiting on the micro to get back from the saw doctor.  things just aint panning out.  Oh well.  tomorrow is another day. and a 50 degree day at that. :) :) :) :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

rebocardo

Hey, that looks great. I agree on the headache rack for next to the winch. Once you get a powered winch, you should put the expanded metal over a framework of 1x1 tubing. A winch hook can punch through just expanded metal if you are talking 9k or something.

Skytramp

Hi guys ;
     I have found that the rear hubs from G M cars with front wheel drive make excelent axels.  They are usually inexpensive at salvage yards.  I get them for $10.00 a pair including donut tires and wheels at a local junk yard, if I take them off.  The bearing is sealed and will fit inside pipe just weld the plate.  or you can bolt them as they have a small plate attached with four holes.  A little imagination will come up with lots of other uses, such as hubs for a band saw.
SkyTramp.
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Part_Timer

Ok here are a couple of pics of us using our new stand on the back of the trailer for loading logs.  It worked ok but we need to make a couple of modifications to it.  It was real nice though.  I like being able to get the front of the log moving up in the air first,

I'll get a couple of pics of the unloading process this afternoon.  It works slick.  I just loop the rope through the end of the rack and then to the back of the log and pull it straight off. 

I need to make a pully instaed of a bolt for the rope to ride on and a roller on the back of the trailer to keep the bark from digging in.  Oh well time for revision #2
Peterson 8" ATS.

Part_Timer

We had to unload in a hurry so no pics of that but here are a couple of the business end of the loader.

I like getoverit's A frame and thought about making one like it but I have no way to unload short of using the wifes truck.  Ya like that's going to happen. :D

I unloaded the 4 logs in less than 10 minutes on my own.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

getoverit

My Peterson Mill got here about the tiome I was through with the A frame, so I havent tried it out yet. Looks like you got it going on though. I like the idea of the extension arm you put on the back end. Looks like it might help with some extra leverage.

I also like the idea of having the winch up higher too. This should help with keeping the coils in line on the winch. I still havent satisfied myself on how my winch is mounted and may end up making a headache rack like yours. I think as long as you kept the height of the rack below 2', it shouldnt be too much or a drag going down the highway.

Maybe the next rainy day I'll get a chance to finishe mine.

Congrats on yours ! Looks like ya got it figured out :) nice looking logs too

Thank You Sponsors!