iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID please

Started by Raym, December 03, 2023, 06:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

I'm working on a couple of pepper grinders and running low on 12/4 maple. found these bunks in the shop that obviously came with a shipment of something. Thought I would rough out to see what it was. Heavy and dense. No oder at all. I pretty sure its not hickory. My guess is ash??

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Don P

Looks like it could be beech

Raym

No, I have turned a lot of beech. pretty sure its not that

moodnacreek

The end grain sure looks like ash.

cutterboy

It could be ash but the color is not quite right. I would have agreed with Don on beech but Raym says no. I don't know.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Old Greenhorn

I'll bet you 25 cents of cold hard American cash that this is Ash.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rooster 58

The ash I'm familiar with has grain similar to oak, with open grain and pores

jpassardi

My first thought was ash, not to say it couldn't be something else that looks similar.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

doc henderson

cottonwood looks like that, and they use it for pallets.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

KEC

I'll bet a half dollar of cold cash that it ain't cottonwood or beech. Cottonwood is closed grain and beech has tiny specks. I'll bet a dollar that it is ash given the color and open grain.

wetdog

KEC

I'll play it safe and not argue; it might be hackberry. Considering that it's for a pepper grinder it may not matter too much. No state inspector on the job, is there?

Don P

Once I'm working it, my nose is a big part of wood ID, it also looks like it could be hickory... but what does it smell like?

GAB

Could it be basswood?
If it is dry, I do not think heavy and dense are proper descriptive adjectives for basswood.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

cottonwood had a bit of smell when milled and is not that dense.  many do not use it.  It is growing on me for a light wood, with no prominent grain.  works good for engraving.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

KEC

I think the color is a bit light/white for hickory. Basswood has closed grain. I'm still gravitating toward ash or hackberry. If you have a piece that you can sacrifice, drill into it or make a fresh cut and sniff it. Ash has a nice, nutty smell.

SwampDonkey

Thin earlywood says birch, a diffuse pore wood, no prominent rays. The photo is overexposed making the wood white looking. Increasing contrast makes it even more birch like. Birch does not turn glass smooth like maple because of larger pores across the ring that are even hard to see by eye, let alone a compressed jpeg.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Ash, walnut, birch - top to bottom.

Raym

I pulled out the loop to get a closer look at the end grain. The look of that and with all of the high stakes being wagered, I think the verdict is indeed ash. It should be interesting drilling through the end grain. Ill post pictures when complete.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Raym on December 07, 2023, 03:38:19 AM
with all of the high stakes being wagered, I think the verdict is indeed ash.

:D :D :D  Are you going to be rich?

Raym

While drilling out the center, I did get the mild aroma of ash. So ash it is....BTW this is some hard ash wood! I was only able to saw ash once (while I had my mill) so was uncertain of what this was so thanks for the feedback. Here is a pic of the final product. (Ash on the right, mahogany on the left) Merry Christmas.

KEC

SwampDonkey

Great stuff.

I've had some dry ash make the planer whine and groan. Didn't matter kilned or air dried, she was a hard feed through. :D

Thank You Sponsors!