iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Contractor messed up painting

Started by Dan_Shade, March 02, 2018, 11:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

We hired a guy to patch up a drywall joint crack and paint.

Well...  they did a terrible job on the paint.  Didn't sand the mud from the patches, some mud flashed through the paint, other places weren't properly sanded before painted.

What's the easiest way to repair?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

Hard to see, but I posted a picture.  I wet sanded out one area, which is a pain.   Should I just spackle over everything and feather it out?

We hired the guy to save time.  So much for that ... 

Ljohnsaw

If there is a lot to do, I'd say make him come back and fix it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dan_Shade

I don't want him back, he gave me a excuses on the phone  blamed primer, blamed sheen, etc... 

florida

The easiest way is to get a finisher that knows what he's doing to come float that out with mud. After it's dried seal it with drywall primer then top coat the entire wall the repair is on to hide mismatched paint. If yous sand it down it'll change the texture of the surrounding wall and always show up.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ljohnsaw

Doesn't look like you have any texture to speak of, just the nap of the roller, right?  Out here, I don't think anyone knows how to do a real good job on drywall - everything gets a spray texture to hide all the imperfections :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ruffgear

I've never posted on here before, but this is right up my alley.  Depending on paint you might able to dry sand with fairly aggressive sponge sander, but otherwise float it out as others have said and resend to blend.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

Thanks, I've been working on it off and on all day. 

The texture may be a problem, but I've been sanding.  There are a few spots where the mud had bubbles in it where they painted. 

Pretty frustrating.

Hilltop366

My findings are the drywall board and the filler will always have a different texture, on new drywall the paper will get ruffed up when sanding so after primer is dried you should lightly sand again.

On a previously painted wall if the sanding of the patch did not cut into the paper rolling the primer and 2 coats of paint will make it very hard to see a will done patch.

Looks like you may require both sanding and a thin coat or two of drywall compound.

Dan_Shade

Is spackle a better choice than compound?  Or does it really matter? 

Bruno of NH

Buy Easysand 90
Skim over bad patches and skim them tight 
Prime then repaint
Light coats on the skimcoat and when dry knock down the ridges with you wide knife then sand
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crusarius

I may get shunned for this but I have had enough bad drywall repairs that I couldn't stand in houses I purchased that I got sick of it one day and used a 3" belt sand with a very well used 120 grit belt.

Attacked the spot till I got the paint and high spots off then depending on the depth reapply compound or just paint. alot of times I was able to just do 2 coats with the roller and matched perfectly.

Dan_Shade

I didn't think you could use easy sand for a skim coat... 

Bruno of NH

Easysand is one of the best choices for skimcoating.
I have renovated many old homes and have used Easysand for all the skimcoating over many bad patches and a lot of plaster walls
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on March 02, 2018, 02:18:32 PM
Cancel the check.  :D

:D  :D  :D Just what I was thinking. Good one cfarm.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dan_Shade

Interesting note on the easysand, the bag says something about not using it for a skim coat.

I had a five gallon bucket of that stuff set up on me when I was mudding my garage.... I learned something that day (that I'm slow) ... 

Southside

I can make you up some mighty fine nickel gap ship lap in my moulder to make that mess disappear.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!