The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: For Husky, Stihl, etc.... Is the chainsaw future battery powered?  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
Re: For Husky, Stihl, etc.... Is the chainsaw future battery powered?
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2021, 05:01:06 AM »
That's a pretty fair assessment. The battery capacity and charge times aren't quite there yet for a lot of uses. 

Electric cars are now practical for many uses. Electric rubbish trucks and busses are a thing because they might only do 100 miles a day, stop / go city traffic, where electric does shine.  We  have electric passenger ferries and Auckland port has now has an electric harbour tug. The tug is more of a hybrid, with a diesel backup because it would be an embarrassment in an emergency, but it should be able to run 98% electric.  The diesel generator is relatively small, but enough to sail normally, or recharge the battery over time. The main engines are electric. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »
Electric cars fires are pretty foreboding. A standard firetruck pumper cannot put them out. It usually requires some chems.

Add to that the amount of resources used in making those electric cars and their attraction starts to diminish. And if you're looking towards Tesla as the great electric car success story....they're having some serious issues.

However, batteries in hand held gizmo's....great, keep them going!

Kevin

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2021, 07:29:29 AM »
Electric cars are a net positive for emissions...

Electric cars have much lower life cycle emissions, new study confirms | Ars Technica

As far as fires go, well... Life sucks. Just let it burn out. Not like you can put out an ICE fire in any meaningful sense. You usually end up with a steel shell in the end.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2021, 05:11:13 PM »
" Finally, the study accounts for the fact that energy production should become less carbon-intensive over time, based on stated government objectives."

Bieker is factoring in variables for his paper that haven't even happened yet. Also, he says there is no future for the internal combustion engine if we are to decarbonize. Given that we've had over a 100yrs in that technology, that's just a foolish statement. We could easily push 100mpg internal combustion engines which would incredibly relieve the pressure on fossil fuels.  

As Detroit fades away, they are still pushing/selling high hp cars & trucks. That should only be a tiny percent of their operations....those cars & trucks. Evolution will eventually take place and from the Gen Z's on, they will care less and less about fast, fossil fueled cars.

In my lifetime, I've seen this in so many other venues;throw the baby out with the bathwater. Then, even though there are enormous regrets, you can't go back.

Kevin

Offline CUT N RUN

• I'm new! DONT JUDGE ME
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2021, 07:22:11 AM »
California  ( u.s.a.) is trying to pass laws banning the sale of small gas engines, ( if they havent already )- lawnmowers, generators , chainsaws , etc. starting in 2024 . ( and maybe sooner ) Landscaper companies  are not happy.... how many batteries will it take to mow all day long ? not to mention the initial cost of replacing their equipment.

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:58 AM »
The state that can't keep its grid up and running wants to put more burden on it.  Makes complete sense.  Pump flood water out of your basement with a battery powered trash pump.  Power your well when PG&E shuts down the lines.  Climb a 30" diameter tree with only a battery saw.  Yup, that will all work out.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »
The last 29 years of my working life was on automotive manufacture of Ford engines .As such as technology progressed the use of DC servo motors came into being .One company "electro_ craft " had two city busses using two 40 HP motors on large busses that worked out real well .So this stuff is not out of the question in certain applications .For those who do not know 40 electric is much higher than 40 HP gasoline or diesel but many people like to argue about that fact --just saying   

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2021, 06:53:09 AM »
The auto industry is much farther along on this curve than the OPE industry, and they have until 2035 before going all zero emmissions vehicles in CA. OPE simply cannot get there by 2025, and I'd expect the industry to petition the state to be allowed the same timetable as the auto manufacturers.

In addition to the fact of the equipment not being ready beyond low power/short run time applcations, the "where do the old batteries go?" question still has no answer. In order to sell the Gravely battery commercial Z, dealers have to become hazmat certified, as Gravely wants this burden to fall on the dealers rather than themselves. The battery disposal/recycle program that will surely be in place for the auto industry can hardly be created by the OPE industry.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2021, 01:56:01 PM »
California  ( u.s.a.) is trying to pass laws banning the sale of small gas engines, ( if they havent already )- lawnmowers, generators , chainsaws , etc. starting in 2024 . ( and maybe sooner ) Landscaper companies  are not happy.... how many batteries will it take to mow all day long ? not to mention the initial cost of replacing their equipment.
I feel my country is going this way, we are doing the 2035 zero emissions in the automobile industry too. Ive been hoarding any kind of combustion engines I can as spare parts. I need to buy a new  truck again in a couple years, I want a tundra 8 cylinder but now they only make them in v6 with turbo and that just dont last as long as a base gas engine. Hopefully I can find a 2020ish model with very low KMs
Building the land of my dreams.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2021, 02:46:39 PM »
Yep....heard that about the Tundras. Find the newest V-8 you can find and hang on to it. My ex has been leasing one and I told her she needs to hang on to it. But she's downsizing and got essentially out of livestock.....so it's probably going to be turned back in at the end of the lease....pity.:-\

Kevin

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »
The auto industry is much farther along on this curve than the OPE industry, and they have until 2035 before going all zero emmissions vehicles in CA. OPE simply cannot get there by 2025, and I'd expect the industry to petition the state to be allowed the same timetable as the auto manufacturers.

In addition to the fact of the equipment not being ready beyond low power/short run time applcations, the "where do the old batteries go?" question still has no answer. In order to sell the Gravely battery commercial Z, dealers have to become hazmat certified, as Gravely wants this burden to fall on the dealers rather than themselves. The battery disposal/recycle program that will surely be in place for the auto industry can hardly be created by the OPE industry.
This is a real problem with E-cars....where do all those dead batteries go? Is it gonna be like nuclear waste and they get sealed up in concrete tombs and buried in the desert??

The 'greenies' have no concept on the resources in mining and elsewhere to make those E-car batteries.....anything but 'green'.

But ya know....we can all float down the River Denial together.....kill internal combustion engines and throw the baby out with the bath water.

Kevin

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Battery powered Stihl?

Started by ljmathias on Chainsaws

33 Replies
Last post January 23, 2018, 11:16:41 AM
by bdsmith
xx
Stihl battery chainsaw

Started by Grizzly on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 06:43:25 PM
by Texas-Jim