The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Husqvarna 2100CD  (Read 8087 times)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Husqvarna 2100CD
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
I wouldn't even coonsider packing a 2100 up a tree, they were enough to deal with on the ground. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 12:05:38 PM »
My findings on bar interchange are inconclusive .I found the bar plates for a 2100 but not for a Mac 1000 .With the Husky plates depending on the Mac bar it would fit on some bars and some would need the tightening hole elongated down a tad with an oil hole drilled straight though because the 2100 oils from the top .
For those who do not know over the years and manufacturer many 10 series bars are slightly different .I tried a 36" made in Canada dated 1971 and it worked with no modifications .Yet a 24" that looked nearly new probably from the late 80's would need some modifications .Both would have been used on some model of the 81 cc models in the PNW I would imagine .

All that said these years it would be much easier just to find a Husky bar because long Mac bars in good shape are not that easy to find .Of course I have a few but I'm also a collector .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 02:36:40 AM »
It's hard to imagine the impact this model saw had in the PNW. Bailey's was probably selling dozens of them per day....on a good sales day, many more than that. I bought two to start out with at about $500 a pop from Bailey's....just the power heads.

I had started off felling with a 075 and the older faller I was working with suggested trying one of his new 2100's. It was like feeding gasoline to a fire. I had no preconceptions or loyalty to saw marques at that point. They were just tools to me and yet this Husky performed flawlessly....and so did the next and the next....

To understand a little bit about pro saws back in the day....before Powerpunch became popular(Bailey's again), a big pro saw got about a season and was moved down to your back-up saw. The back-up saw before that one was sold to wood cutters in the local paper. So a new saw was bought every yr. Most of us didn't have the time to work on our saws or were too tired...beyond routine maintenance.

Either the loggin' shows had a shop somewhere with q full-time mechanic or you took your saw to a trusted saw shop in town. That's why it was important that your main saw was always newish.

So back to Powerpunch.....a quasi-synthetic oil mix that was advanced for its day. It allowed us to keep a main saw running for a yr and a half....or rarely, a full two yrs. You could say that was a game changer...but it kinda screwed up the previous schedule based on a yearly cycle.....lol. But longer lasting saws was $$$ in your pocket.

I went from General bars(small OR company that made excellent large bars and had great service) to Cannon. Cannon bars have always been expensive. I sold all my big bars when I quit, but kept a couple of 2100's. One of them was stolen later on, but I replaced it with a used, but not clapped out pawnshop 2100.

So....I actually have one 2100 from my loggin' daze. It served me well in MO where I bought a big farm in the late 80's that had 120 acres of woods, 540 acres total. Given the intensity of the storms there and those stupid, giant Sycamores that thrived on the creek banks.....I was always needing the 2100 for something. When I moved back to WA eventually, it got out that I could fell 'problem' trees with great accuracy. And I had occasion to clear some decent timber tracts.

Now I'm just old with two 2100's....but when you use a saw like that for so long, you retain muscle memory. I can still work it all day and start it without a sweat.....but I have to be more conscious of my balance jumping up and down on logs. My brain says go for it, my knees say NO!

Kevin  

Offline PJ65

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
Always wanted a 2100.  For smaller stuff I was working in a 181/288 made more sense. I still have a 266 I bought new in 85.  Still runs!   Got crushed by a skidder but still on original jug and piston.  Replaced clutch cover and handle and back to work.  Still have my last 288 which is second fiddle to my newer 372.  I do love the older huskies.  They were quite an upgrade from the stihl 056 that I broke in on.  Still want a 2100!

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:06:10 AM »
It's too bad more people don't have access to this saw at a decent price. I remember when you could pick up a nice one on eBay for $300 and less through Craigslist.

You'd think it would be a treasure trove here in the PNW to find one. But collectors have scoured the region for over a decade. And when I do see one or two pop up, they are priced insanely high.

Kevin

Offline PJ65

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »
I'm in Eastern Idaho and one popped up on Facebook Marketplace for 500.00 a couple months ago.  I snoozed. 

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »
Another option is find a 285 and put a 2100 p/c on it.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »
 :D That would keep the boys guessing. What did you DO to that thing? 2100's in decent condition are hard to find and sellers ask top dollar for them. Same with 090's. I am not a logger, too old for that game but want one of each just 'cuz.  Kevin, you mentioned the 075. I worked in a saw shop in the 70's and learned to hate them. ::) 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 12:50:05 PM »
:D That would keep the boys guessing. What did you DO to that thing? 2100's in decent condition are hard to find and sellers ask top dollar for them. Same with 090's. I am not a logger, too old for that game but want one of each just 'cuz.  Kevin, you mentioned the 075. I worked in a saw shop in the 70's and learned to hate them. ::)
Lol....well, I tread warily here in Squeal Country. The 075 was a bloated whale. And if I took any fasteners off it, they better go back with blue Loctite or they'd just back out and drop onto the forest floor.

But even that saw brings major money these days....go figure.

I wonder if Husky used that crummy recoil of the 298 on the 285?

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
Husqvarna decades ago made a power play in this area .More or less said Stihl or them,they lost .As such the only models you find might be at Lowes or something and those being for occasional usage not professional .I have no interest in them .I do have in addition to the 2100 a 281 which is also a nice saw . I might mention two little model 235's which were  a less expensive option to at the time to an 020T  Stihl .Nope nearly as good I might add . My repair parts come from a dealer in the Carolinas as there are no local dealers .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 01:00:00 PM »
Another option is find a 285 and put a 2100 p/c on it.

Unless you have a 2100/2101 P&C lying around, you will pay dearly for those...like almost the price of a good used saw.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »
If you cut to the chase it all boils down to how much you want to spend on the restoration of anything .Speaking again a collector /restorer I've spent years on certain things finding parts for a reasonable price before a certain part might show up .I'm talking from Indian motorcyles to Caterpillar tractors and chainsaws .I must admit the internet has made the chase much easier these days . :)

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 07:47:12 PM »
But then....some people are born scroungers. They don't mind getting insulted or doing things that most of us wouldn't. I have a saw friend in the deep South who is into collecting/restoring many marques. But he has a real passion for Jonsereds.

He works the Internet for all it's worth and is heavy into social media. The fruits of his labor have leap-frogged him into about any Jonsereds part you can imagine for the older & newer models. He makes finding stuff look easy. Point being that there are still a lot of parts out there if you know where to look......same with older Huskies.

My hat is off to people like that...... pc_smiley.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 09:20:04 PM »
Not everybody has the patience or the where with all to do it .Not to mention the skill level required .As I 've said before I've seen relatively good automobile mechanics who are totally lost on a two cycle engine .By the same token I've seen people who don't know a spark plug from a muffler .
I'm of the firm opinion any thing made with human hands can be figured out but first it takes  the desire to do it 

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »
I absolutely don't have the patience to scrounge for saw parts, nor do I have the interest in devoting lots of time to it. So I really appreciate those who have the 'discovery' genes.

There's a guy up in SK Canada who is a real scrounger......he went all over NA looking for saw parts for Husky, Jonsereds and other marques. He had some novel winning successes and also being just a little too late to learn that truckloads of NOS parts went to the dump. He put together saws from NOS parts and sold them to collectors.

But......in this hobby there are some parasitic types looking to turn a profit off of others hard work and not being particularly honest in the process. So he grew disenchanted and the 'fun' factor was gone.

Kevin

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 11:02:20 PM »
There's a guy up in SK Canada who is a real scrounger......he went all over NA looking for saw parts for Husky, Jonsereds and other marques. He had some novel winning successes and also being just a little too late to learn that truckloads of NOS parts went to the dump. He put together saws from NOS parts and sold them to collectors.

But......in this hobby there are some parasitic types looking to turn a profit off of others hard work and not being particularly honest in the process. So he grew disenchanted and the 'fun' factor was gone.

Kevin
I think I know who this guy is from southern Saskatchewan.
. He travels lots and buys up antique saws and resells them. I steered him towards a 2 man 1940s 250cc Villiers.

But I have a older brother who lives up in northern Saskatchewan.
He bought a Husqvarna 2100 from a collector in New Brunswick.
This 2100 is still in its original box and has never had fuel in it  :)

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »

Kevin
I think I know who this guy is from southern Saskatchewan.
. He travels lots and buys up antique saws and resells them. I steered him towards a 2 man 1940s 250cc Villiers.

But I have a older brother who lives up in northern Saskatchewan.
He bought a Husqvarna 2100 from a collector in New Brunswick.
This 2100 is still in its original box and has never had fuel in it  :)
Yes, he has the same first name as me. He also a few yrs ago swept through the US all the way to the west coast.I tried to meet up with him, but we had communication problems.

It's been six or seven yrs now but a 2101 that never had oil/gas through it went through eBay for over $3,000.

Kevin

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 09:43:14 AM »
Have to give him credit he does love chainsaws.
He came up one winter to my logger sports competition at our winter festival in The Pas, Manitoba. He setup a display of some of the best of his collection.
He was able to wheel and deal with the audience and collected quite a few saws.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
I'm not sure what my brother paid for his NOS 2100.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
Here's some big timber cut with a 2100 in the early 1980's on Vancouver Island Canada.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Husqvarna 2100CD oil pump issue??

Started by Koot Kraftsman on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 01:57:25 AM
by Real1shepherd
xx
New (to me) 2100CD

Started by SteveinUT on Chainsaws

50 Replies
Last post March 12, 2015, 03:33:19 PM
by nitehawk55