iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

084 chain

Started by 421Altered, October 24, 2020, 09:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

I'm almost finished rebuilding my 084.  I'm not going to do any milling with it. It will only be used for the almost once in a lifetime large diameter hardwood tree felling and bucking.  I'm needing chain recommendations for it as I have no experience with very large saws.  I'm thinking about a 52'" Cannon super bar.  What type of chain do ya'll recommend and why?

ehp

most will be .404 chain . It cuts ok and is strong . The bar you buy will tell you what chain your going to use . Myself I always ran 3/8's chain on my 084,088,880 and 3120 mainly because it cut faster , one thing you do have to watch for is if you buy gears that drive the chain that fit on your clutch , I have had a couple worked over 084,088 saw that if the bar tip touched another log when bucking another log up it would bust that drive gear , lets just say I use to buy those gears by the 10 pack

sawguy21

:D Those big Stihls are beasts to be sure. If .404 is hard to find and subsequently expensive you can change to 3/8 by switching the clutch rim and bar tip but don't get too aggressive with it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

the 3/8 chain in .063 gauge is pretty strong . I got a guy running that chain on a 175 cc hotsaw with no problems and it makes way more power than any chainsaw motor will . Motor is a dirt bike engine 

Thank You Sponsors!