iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly wood ID

Started by Tom the Sawyer, April 11, 2021, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

One of my regulars called today and wanted to know if I could plane some sycamore planks he was using for a table.  When he arrived, he had 5 - 10/4x10" by 8' planks that he had purchased from some unknown guy who told him they were sycamore.  These things were extremely heavy, and didn't look like sycamore.  Looked and acted more like oak but I've never seen oak with this much curl.  Your opinion?

Appears to have rays...

Each of the boards had curl

Assuming this qualifies as curl.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Don P

The top pic looks like ash?
Whoop, just noticed the ray comment.

tule peak timber

I get Coastal Live Oak (Quercus Agrofolia) that looks identical to your close up photo. It is only about 1 in 1000 logs. What I do have I have veneered out, attached to a substrate and used for specialty novelty items such as boxes, guitar fronts, gifts, etc. Not sure where you are located, but the Live Oak on the West Coast where I am at (Crysolepsis and Agrofolia) compared to Midwest and eastern are VERY different looking. People out here stay clear of the Live Oaks and I've generated a pretty good business milling the heck out of them. :D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Certainly oak.  I have had curl like that in one exceptional white oak that I sawed and dried.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I bought white oak a few years ago to build a bed and one board had curl just like that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

I'd go with White Oak for now. The bottom picture is a ringer based on color? Not sycamore, IMO. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Joshcohen305

Could be European sycamore, it looks way different from the American sycamore almost like curly maple, I don't know where he got it from but it looks alot like European or English I forget sycamore

WDH

Sycamore is diffuse porous.  This wood is ring porous.  This wood is oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Yup, that's oak.

We run into the occasional curly oak. Usually I see more curl in red oak than white, and it is more predominant in the portions of the logs that were closer to the ground.

I have some stashed in the shop for special projects.  As much as I like quartersawing, some of the prettiest curly WO that I've seen was flat sawn.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

So beautiful.  Made my day!

mike_belben

Has mankind figured out what causes curl?  Or what it even really is?
Praise The Lord

low_48

Mankind will figure it out about the same time they figure out cancer. Both are genetic hiccups in my opinion.

WDH

Distortion in the cambium.  What causes the distortion is the real question. 

Thank You Sponsors!