The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Cutting down cottonwoods  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Cutting down cottonwoods
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »
As the story goes these two bone heads near Spencerville Ohio tried to blow an oak stump with little sticks but all it did was blow out the dirt .Then these two wizards stirred up a batch of of ANFO ,about three or four  wash tubs full and set it off with two sticks .The ground shook ,the stump headed for the moon, the windows in the house were long gone .
The stump didn't make it to the moon but did crash through the barn roof, through the mow and come to light on a John Deere 4020 and broke it right into .A partial success  I suppose .If nothing else it made for a good story . ;D

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »
You can take cottonwood twig cuttings, stick them down in moist soil, and they will root. I have seen a cottonwood plantation done that way in a cleared bottomland site in Georgia back in the very 1980s, done as an experiment. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
Somehow, in all the yrs of living large, I missed out on dynamite 'fun'. When I was younger, I thought I'd have to prove I was psychologically fit to use/buy it or or some such nonsense. Maybe it's just as well. ::)

Kevin

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »
I know, there are other and more modern options.  I guess at this point I am going to try every big saw I can to see what cuts these the best.  So far I just stay on top of the dead trees and fallen branches with an 880 and 461.  However I like my 461 at the cabin for those trees, so I'm always taking it back and forth.  My dealer has a new 395 and 3120 in stock, might pick those up to try out.  Here is my endless supply of wood...

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
[br /
](Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Beautiful pictures.  Is the irrigation system still functional?
The irrigation still works and is used to flood the fields to keep the trees going.  I don't run very many cattle on the place anymore, in fact the neighbor is the one that puts about 80 head just to keep the meadows in good shape.  He is the one responsible for the fences and irrigation.  I don't charge him anything and he gives us a couple of steers to butcher a year.  It works.  

Offline Real1shepherd

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
Interesting......here you are responsible for debris and anything that would obstruct your part of the irrigation ditch. But any changes or modifications are the under the auspices of the 'Water Master'.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
I know that I don't know enough about explosives to use them .About the closest I ever came was an m-80 in a trash can .It did blow the dents out of it and launched the lid about 20 feet in the air . Rather amusing at the time .

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »
Since were talking about dumb & interesting stuff with explosives, I still remember back when I was about 9, dad made a 55gal drum launch about 30 in the air. Imagine, a hole for the pipe bomb, empty drum inverted on top of it, and amazed looks from me and 3 buddies that I grew up with! All was safe and well done, but dad said that he was never playing with explosives again! Oh well, back to our bicycle jumps for entertainment.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »
I got my Provisional Blasting ticket back in the mid 70's, expired loooong ago, so I had confidence in using the dynamite as did my friend who had his ticket and a licensed powder mag to store it.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2021, 01:56:55 PM »
I got my Provisional Blasting ticket back in the mid 70's, expired loooong ago, so I had confidence in using the dynamite as did my friend who had his ticket and a licensed powder mag to store it.
The guy that runs cattle on my land has his blasting licences.  He uses it to make irrigation ditches.   I should just let him loose...

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »
The fuse and blasting caps left over were fun to play with. I had a 300 gallon fuel tank I salvaged from work that a tree had fallen on and caved it in to about half its diameter in the center. I wanted it to make a water tank for fire protection purposes. It had a 2" fill hole and 1" vent. My son and I devised a plan.

Take a liter of gasoline, pour it in and roll the tank all around to disperse the gas as much as possible to create fumes in it. We put a 2 minute fuse and a cap hanging just inside the tank with the holes facing up, lit fuse and took cover. I tell you! When that cap fired the noise was incredible as the ignited gas inside escaped out those small holes. I have no idea why the tank didn't burst but it popped that thing right back to dang near normal with just a few ripples where it was crushed. The noise was intense high pitched jet engine like for about 5 seconds with an extreme high pressure plume about 70' into the air.

Experiment was a total success :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2021, 04:07:30 PM »
This thread has turned into a blast.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2021, 06:48:07 PM »
It's almost as jovial as the great oil debate . ;D

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 05:28:45 AM »
Speaking of cottonwoods  :D
I removed this northwest poplar (cottonwood/poplar hybrid) a few years back

Not the most difficult or largest poplar I felled in a residential area but this tree I removed for my daughter was a heavy one, ring count less then 40 years old.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cottonwoods

Started by Striker on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2004, 06:36:31 PM
by Kevin_H.
xx
Swamp land Cottonwoods

Started by CCC4 on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 09:58:54 PM
by Red Elm
xx
A link to a video cutting first try cutting 2X6 with ripping chain.

Started by richhiway on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 05:31:24 PM
by Southside
xx
Hinge cutting vs just cutting off

Started by braucher on Ask The Forester

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2019, 04:30:34 PM
by TKehl