The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Jonsered 2152 bar oil leak  (Read 1784 times)

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Jonsered 2152 bar oil leak
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 09:28:18 AM »
Thanks, Spike.

Did they make any improvements to that older line design over the years, or it is still the same thing I pulled out of it?  What came out seems to be in decent shape - the rubber is still pliable, no cracks or other obvious issues.

I was really hoping to be able to fix this leaking oil issue. If the part has not been updated, is it still worth replacing? Is there anything else to check/do while I have it apart?

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 11:52:21 AM »
May have shrunk a little over the years. I don't think that part was ever changed; they just went to the 2 hose system and added some "nipples" to the oil pump. 

I'd still give it a shot and see if it works. Unfortunately, there really aren't a lot of things to try there. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 01:35:59 PM »
One more question for you, @Spike60 :

When I went to put the metal plate back on, I noticed that there was some rubbery goop on the back, along the rib that helps direct the oil from behind the plate outward and onto the bar. It was falling to pieces, so I cleaned it off. It looked amateurish, not a factory job, but it's hard to tell. I've had this saw since new, and I never put it there. It's possible that the dealer did, but I don't recall him ever working on that. (His answer when I complained about leaking was "they all do that".)

Should I put some sort of non-hardening gasket material there (being careful not to block the oil inlet? or just leave it bare?  I'm thinking that if the oil is making it this far when the saw is not running, I've got some other problem which should be addressed, but if you think I should put something hear, I've got stuff I can use.

It was all along both sides of the rib just above my finger in the photo.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 08:23:10 PM »
Sorry John, missed this last question. The factory did put that stuff in there, but I never mess with that. Too fine a bead and all I'd do is make a mess.

How'd this project turn out? Did the new line get rid of the leak?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 10:14:41 PM »
The local shop did not have the correct line in stock, and I wanted to get it back together. I ended up just putting a bit of non-hardening sealant on my old line where is fits into the case (right where those added ribs were on the other style line that did not fit my saw). I also put a very small wipe of it on the oil pump, where it inserts into the oil line, being vary careful to do so in a way that did not risk plugging the oil hole.

I ran it for a few quick cuts, then set it on a clean plastic sheet (an empty bag of chicken feed). I've gotten busy with other things, so it's been sitting there for 3 days so far. There is a tiny bit of oil on the sheet, but I'm thinking that was just left over from running it. It's still oiling the bar, so at least I did not cause myself some other problem. So far no big puddle forming, so I'm hopeful that it took care of things.

Thanks for your help. I had not messed with an oil pump or hose before. If what I did did not take care of it, at least I know how to get in to that area now. If I do have to replace the hose with new, I should have no problems.

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »
@Spike60  - I still have the 537 10 11-02 part that did not fit my older 2152.

Now my 357XP is leaking a bit more than it has in the past. Is there any chance that the part will fit my 357XP?  The IPL I have shows a 537 10 11-01

Am I likely to need the mating rubber part, shown as 537 09 18-01 in my IPL. If so, has it also been superseded by a new part number?

357XP Ser # is 05 3400766, if that makes a difference.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »
Evening John;

Wiil double check in the morning, but as long as the 357 uses the 2 piece lines, it is the same as on your 2152. Changing from the 01 to 02, just indicates it's the improved line. Will heck on the outside line tomorrow, but probably the same as well.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »
Little late here, but the outside lines are different, due to the cases being different. The internal lines are the same.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
Thanks, Spike. I've been busy packing up my son and dropping him off for his first year of college, so haven't had time to get in to this yet anyway.

Is it probably a good idea to just replace both if I'm having a significant leaking issue, or is it the internal piece that tends to give the most problems?

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2021, 04:43:02 AM »
I'd just replace the internal line; just about always does the trick.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Jonsered 2150 against a 2152

Started by smith2bj on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 12:43:46 PM
by mad murdock
xx
Jonsered 2141 & 2152 Hi RPM?

Started by John Mc on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 05:45:51 PM
by John Mc