iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What caused this?

Started by trimguy, May 16, 2021, 12:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

What caused this? This log came from my brother-in-law's house. When I seen it in a pile, I assumed it was oak? If it is an oak ,what caused the "character " in it?

trimguy

This tree is in Georgia.

GAB

Could it be tornado damage?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

trimguy

Interesting. We are not known for tornadoes in this area, not to say that there wasn't one at some point.

Don P

GAB

Quote from: trimguy on May 16, 2021, 07:28:52 PM
Interesting. We are not known for tornadoes in this area, not to say that there wasn't one at some point.
The reason I ask about possible tornado damage is one time at the woodworking tool show at the Indy fair grounds one outfit had a box made from lumber of a tree that had been in a tornado, or so they claimed, and it had bark inclusions all over it that looked a bit somewhat like your boards look.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

kantuckid

I like the bird peck notion. Maybe it had cicadas on the bark back when in the 17 year rotation we're seeing again now? 
Count back the rings in 17 yr increments...;D
I see healthy trees that have lots of woodpecker action on them-mostly yellow pines with circle after circle of peck holes. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

DonW

Something similar occurs regularly enough in hard maple that it is even a feature to look for and go after ( fad ). The cause is a boring insect that carries with it a fungus that takes hold in the wood and makes these elongated discolorations. Most often the hole is part of the feature and the effected wood sound.
I don't know if that's oak or not. It looks more like alder. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

trimguy

I cut a chunk off the end before I milled it ,I will count the rings and see what I come up with in the next day or two. Alder , I don't think I've cut any before. But I didn't know what this was.

stavebuyer

The defect is bird peck. The bark and the wood color/grain don't suggest oak to me.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The wood is hickory.  Sapsuckers just love hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KEC

WDH, Funny you should say that sapsuckers love hickory because around here I don't see that much. But there have been discussions on the forum before about sapsuckers and how, in different areas, their tree preferences differ. Here they are big on apple, pear, basswood and some others. But, now and then they go after trees you think they don't bother. And sometimes they will hit an individual tree hard, leaving other nearby trees of the same species alone; go fiqure.

Don P

I've often wondered what they saw or smelled or heard in those particular trees  ???

trimguy

It looks like it happened multiple years. Hickory, that's funny, I remember when he brought these logs over about four months ago, he said there was a walnut on there and one of his guys wanted some gun stocks blanks out of it. " The highly valuable black walnut ". I should have known.I told him he did not have any black walnuts on his property. I would not have guessed Hickory. It does not have the light and brown contrast that I remember in some flooring I put down years ago.

trimguy

Thank you for your help. I'm obviously not very good at tree identification yet.

WDH

It certainly is hickory.  A highly valuable walnut hickory.

You would not believe how many times I hear this when I tell a landowner that their prized walnut tree is actually a hickory, "But it had nuts on it...."  Yeah, hickory nuts :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Had a buddy proudly show me where he was going to tap his maples to make some sugar.  Was trying to find the words to explain he was going to make Sweet Gum syrup if he followed through with the plan he had.  Not that there is anything wrong with that....  Better than taping pine I suppose.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I doubt that you could even get sap out of that stuff. 

metalspinner

Looks like that log was a leaner, too. The hickory lumber is going to be a beast to work with. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

trimguy

The log did have a bow in it. I needed a 6 x 12 beam, which left me with a 2 1/2 inch slab off each side. So, maybe it won't be too bad in those applications.Maybe I should lick it to see if Hickory sap would be any good. :D

Thank You Sponsors!