iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Oak vs Blackjack Oak

Started by DixieReb31, June 24, 2021, 04:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

Is a Black Oak and a Blackjack Oak the same tree?
How large do Blackjack Oaks get?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

WDH

Very different trees with very different leaf shapes.  Blackjack oak is usually scrubby but they can grow to over several feet in diameter although 12" to 14" is more typical. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stavebuyer

Blackjack are most often scrubby and favor dry sites. Their leaves are waxy and more lobed than pointed. They often retain their dead limbs. Lots of ant nests in Blackjack oak.

WDH

Blackjack oak leaves are spatulate, widest at the tip. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DixieReb31

I have two, what I call very large Blackjack oaks on my property.  I am familiar with the Blackjack just wasn't sure if a Black Oak was considered the same.  Now I know, it is not. 
The two Blackjack's I have are approx 60' tall. One has a circumference of 66", the other of 69".  Their crown in somewhat constricted due to growing on a tree line that has a large yellow pine next to one and a fair size Water Oak next to the other.  I was thinking maybe they are close to be champion trees.  I'm not sure how to measure for it though.

WDH

The Georgia Champion is 95" in circumference at DBH and 71' tall with a crown spread of 56'.  

DixieReb31

Oh well, still pretty good size for Blackjacks, I think.

Thank You Sponsors!