iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ProMac 10-10

Started by Otis1, July 01, 2021, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otis1

I recently found a ProMac 10-10 in the scrap metal pile at the landfill. Doing very little research, I think it's probably an early/ mid 80's 10-10S. I really have no knowledge of these older saws. The starter cord is broken off, so that may be why someone chucked it.

Is it worth trying to get it to run? Obviously start with the cord and go from there. I haven't even pulled the plug yet. I'm no mechanic but it could be a fun winter project. If it's not worth fixing, then I'm just gonna clean it up a bit and hang it on the garage wall. Someday it will be a real antique...

Otherwise, if a member on here needs it for parts or something I'd pass it along for the same price I got it for. This is not a "trying to sell post". 

Please excuse my toes and playing with a chainsaw while wearing flip flops in the third pic.

thecfarm

My Father had one of those. Hang it up!! 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

They are not difficult to repair. Pop the muffler off to check for scoring. if it looks good replace the rope and squirt some gas in the carb throat to see if it starts. There are millions out there, great firewood saw but you will want ear plugs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

That's Buckin' Billy territory.....lol.

He's the driving force behind old MACS having value.8)

Kevin

HemlockKing

Quote from: Real1shepherd on July 01, 2021, 11:44:56 PM
That's Buckin' Billy territory.....lol.

He's the driving force behind old MACS having value.8)

Kevin
Looks like a buckin special to me lol 
A1

Spike60

Should make a fun project. If you have compression and spark, then you'll be fine. Squirt a little gas in the carb and see if she fires.

Like sawguy said, there's a ton of them out there so it's not worth anything in that sense. But none of that matters. The value here is simply whatever fun you have getting the old girl running; maybe cut a little firewood with it. Keep us posted. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

I paid $75 for my 10-10 Super only because it was in such good shape, looked almost new, and started on the fourth pull. I am not normally a Mac fan but sometimes a guy has to make allowances. Most expensive saw I own. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Otis1

Wait, you guys are telling me that this is not the highly valuable chainsaw used to cut the highly valuable black walnut? 

I figured it was a fairly common one at some point. Thanks for the suggestions, I will update when I do something with it. I have a couple of newer saws, so this one isn't needed to run. I think it will be a good learner for me if I do tear into it.

Al_Smith

Back in the old days when the air was clean and sex was dirty you had two front runners for mid size chainsaws .This model of McCulloch and Homelite XL-12 .It was like Ford/Chevy and John-Deere  / Farmall .
They aren't particularly fast but in good tune very dependable .I think this model was still in manufacture up until the day Mac went into the history books .I have several from right hand start models up to the last year of manufacture which is slightly larger displacement .
I'll say this ,they have cut a lot of fire wood world wide for several decades .If you don't get stingy with the fuel mix oil they will probably run forever .

Thank You Sponsors!