iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

076 AV Super cylinder filling with bar oil

Started by woodworker9, July 02, 2021, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

Long story short.....I'm looking to add a bigger saw for occasional milling of some of the bigger quality logs I get delivered here.  Not everything has to be turned into firewood, and these don't fit on the Woodmizer.

Looking at a 076 AV Super, and the seller tells me he sent them out to be ported 5 or 6 years ago to a guy in Tx  (now since deceased).  He got both his saws back, and they both run terrific, but both of them somehow leak any bar oil into the cylinder.  His solution is to drain the reservoirs after use.  Not my idea of fun, so I haven't purchased from him but I'm curious.......

Was this a common problem with ported saws, and to the untrained ported saw man (me.....ZERO experience with porting and ported saws) how does this happen?

Your thoughts, as I'm posting this to learn something from the experienced folks here.  

Thanks.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

sawguy21

That was a common problem on that series of saw. The pump is inboard of the crankshaft seal, the o-ring deteriorates and oil leaks back into the crankcase. It is not a difficult fix although the pump is fiddly to access.
That is a very torquey saw which is ideal for milling but there are much better candidates out there. It is prone to vibration, the fuel tank screws fall ot or the tank tabs break off. The carb and muffler work loose and I never did find a way to keep the decompression valve in place. Look for an 066 better yet an 088.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

welderskelter

I have a neighbor who will vouch for this being a very good and dependable saw. He still enjoys competition from the neighbors when cutting with a bunch of people. Only had him say he cant find a new tank for it because his got a hole in it somehow. I like running it too.

woodworker9

Thanks for the valued opinions, guys.  I appreciate it.

I'd love to find an 088, or similar saw, but I'm in the midwest, they are few and far between, and the guys that have them, even beat up, seem to think they are worth gold pressed latinum.  Not to me......

I have enough projects going right now, so I don't want to buy a saw that is another project.  I just want to work right now, so I think I'll pass on the 076.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

welderskelter

Skeans1

Another option is a husky 3120 or Stihl still makes the 780 or Echo CS-1201 they are all big cube slower turning saws for running long bars.

sawguy21

Unfortunately the Stihl MS780 and Echo CS-1201 are not available in North America
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skeans1

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 03, 2021, 02:57:40 PM
Unfortunately the Stihl MS780 and Echo CS-1201 are not available in North America
There's some in North America and the last generation of the Echo was brought into the states.

Thank You Sponsors!