The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Chain sharpener?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
Re: Chain sharpener?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »
I'm reluctant to get into this again, because it never goes anywhere. Here are four pics of the original Granberg chisel chain sharpener.

I've owned mine since the 70's, but these are someone else's pics because all the original pieces are intact on his and for reference only.

In the first pic take note of the actual file holders for the Perferd file. There show those little round inserts. Mine cracked and broke. They were pot metal. Eventually the holders themselves broke...pot metal. Granberg took the jig out of production around the mid 80's. They used to show up on eBay....you can forget looking now.

Essentially, Granberg makes the hand file part and the jig itself unchanged since then. A hobby machinist could make the end pieces and all the rest would be Granberg new.

Whomever designed this jig, did so in steel and the design was so good that Granberg copied it in mostly pot metal.....that's the big caveat. Make the file holder ends out of machined steel and the jig lives on forever or you could jump into a new one by just saving the machined file holders and buying a new File n' joint from Granberg.

Turn key could be around $100 if I could get someone interested in doing the file holders.

OK the pics were all copied from --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--....someone else's. Apparently, I can't post them here as an "extension", whatever that means. There are in my download folder but won't transfer like usual to a folder here. They won't go into the Forestry Forum Gallery...again, something about an extension. 

Kevin

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2021, 03:09:06 PM »

Actually, they do make a jig for square filing. I could also make one out of a Granberg jig sharpener with the help of a hobby machinist. You would only need to make a few small pieces. Here is the ATOP:

Kevin

Apparently that has been around while now, but I had never heard of it. It took me too long to get good at doing it by hand, I don't think I would want to switch to a jig that will just slow me down and put a hole in my wallet. They sure are proud of those things!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
I think the problem stems from being webpics.....it won't allow me to post from my PC. I stuck the pics in documents, but that didn't change anything. I think I have to reformat the pics somehow to post here?

Kevin

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
If they're .webp extensions, you'd need to convert them to .jpg. You should be able to do it with a decent image editing program. I'd use gimp, but there's probably easier programs that would work too.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2021, 05:04:44 PM »
If they're .webp extensions, you'd need to convert them to .jpg. You should be able to do it with a decent image editing program. I'd use gimp, but there's probably easier programs that would work too.
I'll look into it later, thanks!

Kevin

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »
The program "Paint" works well for that.. resize and save to .jpg file. 
Can add arrows, lines, text, etc. to the file before saving as well. I often do a "screen save" and paste into the "Paint" program to produce .jpg files.  As said, there are others that also work well. 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2021, 10:20:34 PM »
Ive got one of those cheap ones from Harbor Freight. Im no expert at sharpening chains so Im sure what Im doing to them is not ideal. All I can say is that after I sharpen them they sure cut better! I think they get about $40 for it so its worth a try.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »
OK, was able to find a 'converter' so I can post these pics as promised.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
chain saw sharpener

Started by Qweaver on Chainsaws

44 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 02:35:18 PM
by lxskllr
xx
saw chain sharpener help

Started by maple flats on Chainsaws

38 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 09:04:29 PM
by jteneyck