iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID

Started by flatrock58, July 28, 2021, 10:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Probably should know what this tree is but I don't!

I am in NW Georgia.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Looks Black Gum'mery from here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It certainly is blackgum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flatrock58

Thanks Magicman and Danny.  I know what sweet gum is, but not black gum.  Is it good for anything?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

mike_belben

Its a very reliable, slow, persistent, extremely shade tolerant tree that can take both flood and drought.  It will outlive almost anything else and feed scores of wildlife in that time by its drupes.  

Its very twisty and horrible to split but burns well.  Its the wood that all splitters should have to be rated by.  Nothing will break wings off a wedge like that like stuff.

It probably dries like a twizzler in lumber form but im guessing.  Never sawed it.

Thats a very straight one and probably 200 yrs old or better. They normally look like antlers!
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Gum in general is a NIGHTMARE to split, in general. 
Trying harder everyday.

WDH

Behaves just like sweet gum due to it's spiral grain. Commercially only used for low grade, ties, and palletwood here in the Deep Gritty South. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tacotodd

But dry sweet gum burns hot.
Trying harder everyday.

Wudman

And it has a taproot the same size as the root collar half way to China.  You can not grub one up........only shear it off below ground level.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

HemlockKing

Quote from: Wudman on July 30, 2021, 10:36:14 AM
And it has a taproot the same size as the root collar half way to China.  You can not grub one up........only shear it off below ground level.

Wud
Explosivesss
A1

jb616

Quote from: Tacotodd on July 30, 2021, 02:50:25 AM
Worse than Sycamore?  That is by far the worst splitting wood I have found...

mike_belben

Ive never split sycamore.  But black gum is the only wood i had to chain up to extract the splitter head from.  

Bigger rounds i just cut with the chainsaw if i have to deal with the stuff.
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Black Gum and Tupelo Gum are/were the preferred species for making dough bowls.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: jb616 on July 30, 2021, 11:36:07 AM
Quote from: Tacotodd on July 30, 2021, 02:50:25 AM
Worse than Sycamore?  That is by far the worst splitting wood I have found...
Oh yea.... 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JohnW

It's usually not worth the effort, but I know a way to split gum.  Drive a wedge on one side, then knock it out, drive a wedge on the other side and knock it out.  The wood is actually split, but it won't come apart because of all the hangers-on.  Use your ax or hatchet to cut all of these.

I think persimmon splits worse than gum.  It's like the stuff has no grain.

kantuckid

Dough bowls in KY were from other woods, not gum, esp. if I was making them :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!