iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 395 Chain choice

Started by Owtlaw, July 31, 2021, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owtlaw

Hello all. I just recently purchased a Husky 395 with a 36" bar.  It came with what appears to be a skip tooth chain.  The bar is a Husqvarna bar.  The chain that I have with it is Huskvarna p/n 5018468-15.   Type is H83 115G.  Is there a better chain that I can run on this?  I really do not know anything about chain?

Skeans1

What are you doing with the saw? 36 is normally the shortest length I'll run on the 395's even then it's full comp or semi skip depending on what I'm doing that day.

mike_belben

I dont think theres much wood in the east that a stock 395 wont pull a full comp chisel cutter through. 
Praise The Lord

Owtlaw

I will be cutting mostly pine and cottonwoods.  I have a cottonwood that I need to take down that has a 6 foot base.

sawguy21

Are you not happy with the performance? I am not familiar with Husqvarna chain but Stihl makes 36RSLF that will fit, their cutters seem to hold an edge better than most. Skip tooth works well with long bars, it does a better job of clearing the chips.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Owtlaw

It just seems like it could cut faster.  This chain appears to be a 3/8  x .063.  What other chain will this saw be compatible with? Will I need to change out the sprocket ring? 

sawguy21

Are you getting nice sized chips or sawdust? Maybe the chain needs to be properly sharpened. Is the saw properly tuned? It should be rich enough that it just starts to hunt or four cycle at wide open throttle no load. If the carb is adjustable start fat and slowly lean it out, if you go too far you risk burning it out.
If nothing else works you could try .404 chain which means changing the rim and bar tip. However it is getting scarce and expensive, the Oregon distributor I worked for gave the last of it away as it wasn't moving.

Owtlaw

Definitely sharp as the chain is brand new. Getting small chips and it seems like the saw could definitely go with a more aggressive cut.

Owtlaw

What sharpener should I use to sharpen this chain?

btulloh

Check the height of the depth gauges. Even a new chain can have an occasional issue. Maybe it was sharpened at the factory at 4:55 on a Friday. :-\   Make sure it's sharp and the depth gauges are correct.

What are you comparing it to?  Maybe you cutting a dirty log or something right out of the gate. It's pretty easy to make s chain go from sharp to dull in a short time. 
HM126

Owtlaw

in all fairness the wood is really wet.

Skeans1

I'll be willing to bet it's cutting slow because of the skip chain with a 7 tooth sprocket. If you're running a 7 tooth sprocket try a full comp chain before swapping anything else the saw has the power even with low depth gauges to pull the chain with ease. On my personal 395's I've ran up to a 60" bar with skip chain.

Owtlaw

So that is where my confusion lies.  What is the chain designation that I should be shopping for?

sawguy21

What chain are you wanting to use? You can do as Skeans suggests or even try an 8 tooth sprocket for more chain speed. There is no magic bullet, you will have to experiment to find what works best for you. Are you buying from a local dealer or online?

Owtlaw

I have local dealers but I was just going to order online.  I think I may have found one that will work.  Oregon PowerCut  P/N 75EXJ115G.  

Owtlaw

Is that a good choice for chain for this saw?

sawguy21

It is very similar to what you have.

Owtlaw

I certainly appreciate the great answers. Another dumb question.  If I switch out to a 28" bar with a .058 gage, will I have to change out my sprocket?

lxskllr

You can keep the drive sprocket.

Owtlaw

Is there some point that I would have to change it out?

sawguy21

Only if it is worn out, you want to increase chain speed or go to .404 chain.

Skeans1

Quote from: Owtlaw on July 31, 2021, 08:56:27 PM
So that is where my confusion lies.  What is the chain designation that I should be shopping for?
The EXJ you're quoting is a full skip chain with a chisel cutter, EXL is full comp chain with chisel cutter.
75 on Oregon stands for 3/8 pitch .063 gauge drivers and presets.
The chain I'm normally run is a 115 driver 75CL or 75CK once in a great while 75CJ this means it's a 3/8 pitch 63 gauge full comp square ground chain for production falling application. 

Real1shepherd

Never put a new chain on a well used sprocket....you're asking for it to grenade. You can however, put a used chain on a newer sprocket.

I have a lifetime supply of new .404 sprockets, so I don't know how much they cost anymore. Cheap insurance though for making sure they never grenade on you.

Kevin

longtime lurker

A 395 will pull a 32" bar running 404 full comp semi chisel with ease in some of the hardest woods in the world. That's my regular work saw setup.

If yours is running 3/8" and cutting slow it's either blunt/ pinched/ or got the wrong sprocket. No call for skip chain with that, unless you're milling. Speaking of which it's not a milling chain is it... that'll slow them down some in a crosscut.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

snobdds

I think a 395 needs a .58 or .63 type of chain.  The .5 is a little too small and gets distorted in the bar by the torque.  

3/8 x .63 in a 32 inch bar seems to be the sweet spot for that saw.  It doesn't matter if it's full chisel or full skip.   

Thank You Sponsors!