iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl Sawchain With Special File

Started by HolmenTree, August 17, 2021, 01:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

I wish I had thought of this idea.
A fellow from France whose user name is Stihl Stihl rigged up this metal guide to his triangle chisel bit file.
Like training wheels for a file....
I can see someone 3D printing off a bunch of these out of plastic  that snap onto the end of a file.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 03, 2021, 08:55:05 AM
I wish I had thought of this idea.

I don't get it. How does it work? You find a video demo anywhere?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tacotodd

Willard, that piece looks like the commercial big game hide scrapers that I've seen.
Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

Old Greenhorn

Thanks, that straightened me out. It's not a square grind knock-off it's a new tooth geometry entirely. Although it should cut closer to a square grind than a round grind. I guess that's where the '10% faster' claim comes from. Well, it is interesting. Now the question is how will the cutting public take to it?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

I am definitely interested in trying one. maybe I can sharpen this one? I suck at the others.

lxskllr

That's got my attention. I'd be interested in seeing the cost of the chain and the files. As an aside, that's a very good video showing how to file a chain. They didn't say a thing, but it was perfectly clear on what needs to be done.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 12, 2021, 08:54:59 AM
Thanks, that straightened me out. It's not a square grind knock-off it's a new tooth geometry entirely. Although it should cut closer to a square grind than a round grind. I guess that's where the '10% faster' claim comes from. Well, it is interesting. Now the question is how will the cutting public take to it?
OG, yes it is interesting and like I said it's not a tooth profile to compare with a square filed chisel bit, far from it. But now it's possible for a regular round filer to attempt a cutting edge close to a square chisel bit.
Now my question is how OHSA or CSA standards will apply this file for the general public.  
Yellow or Green or both?

HolmenTree

Quote from: lxskllr on September 12, 2021, 10:00:03 AM
That's got my attention. I'd be interested in seeing the cost of the chain and the files. As an aside, that's a very good video showing how to file a chain. They didn't say a thing, but it was perfectly clear on what needs to be
I think the market will focus more on this hexagon file  then on the matching chain like the earlier ad that I posted.
This video shows what looks like a standard 33RS1 chain, but it does have the laser etched Hexa wear limit guide on the cutter's sideplate.  
Now we have a way to sharpen the new Husqvarna C83/85 XCut chain the way it comes out of the box. :)

lxskllr

What's your opinion of Xcut chain. I don't like Oregon at all. The metal's so soft, I think it's made from recycled soup cans. I still have some Carlton I use as beater chain, but once that's gone, I'll be all Stihl since I found a reasonably priced supplier. Is the Xcut more like Stihl or Oregon?

HolmenTree

To be honest I haven't got my hands on any Husqvarna XCut 83/85 chain yet.
But what I see about that chain is when Husqvarna introduced the 572XP a few years back in Europe to counter the Stihl MS462 introduction,  Husqvarna equally promoted the fast cutting XCut chain on the 572XP to help its lower power to weight ratio versus the MS462.

What I'm getting at is the XCut chain helped the 572XP in cutting speed comparison tests against the MS462 with a standard 33RS1 chain.

HolmenTree

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tacotodd on September 19, 2021, 11:50:51 PM
At least the wear rate is good news😶
And they're coming supplied with the early 2022 MS400, 462 and 500i like how the 572XP was introduced with the C83 XCut,  difference is the Stihls come with a file.
Now the big question is will that be worldwide?

Greenhighlander

Quote from: lxskllr on September 12, 2021, 10:24:15 AM
What's your opinion of Xcut chain. I don't like Oregon at all. The metal's so soft, I think it's made from recycled soup cans. I still have some Carlton I use as beater chain, but once that's gone, I'll be all Stihl since I found a reasonably priced supplier. Is the Xcut more like Stihl or Oregon?
I have been very happy with my Xcut chains. They hold an edge well and have a good wear rate. I also agree  100% with you on Oregon chains . I find the Xcut to be much more Stihl like then Oregon.  

Arborist1

I can't wait to give this new file a try.

I hope it works well on 3/8 Stihl RS.

Thank You Sponsors!