The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: clutch type  (Read 500 times)

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
clutch type
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:08:14 PM »
Hi, I recently bought a winch that is powered by a chainsaw. It is designed to be used with a saw that has the drive sprocket "on the outside of the clutch drum" like on a Stihl. The saws I have all have the sprocket inside the drum. Can anyone tell me what brand of saws use the clutch I need, like a Stihl, or is Stihl the only brand that has that kind of clutch.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
Re: clutch type
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:15:40 AM »
Theres not an outright answer to that question. Some Husqvarnas like a 372, some Echos, and thats just the ones that I know about that have one. It sounds like what you are looking for are referred to as an inboard clutch as they are the ones with the drum on the outside. BUT not all pro series saws have such a setup. For example, older pro Husqvarnas like an266 have an outboard. Unless you know then youll need to ask or look. Madsens in Washington state are good people to ask.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:45:11 AM »
Saws with the outboard clutch are generally called spur drive and with the inboard clutch are called rim sprocket drive. Those rim sprockets are cheap and replaceable and are usually recovered for the bigger saws.
 You didn't mention which saws you have, but some can be converted to a rim sprocket with a kit and a little work. Search your saw model with the words 'clutch conversion' or ' rim sprocket conversion' and see if you find any availability for your models.
 Also be aware that the oil pump is driven by the clutch body on the spur design, so when you switch, this is a consideration you have to think about.
 Good luck. I like those little winches, would love to try one sometime.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 01:04:43 PM »
Thanks to all for the guidance.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »
Inboard vs outboard clutch is inherent in design, and I can't think of any way to change it aside from major modification. Modern pro Stihl saws are all inboard clutch afaik. For other saws, I think you'd have to research saws individually. Find something you're interested in for size and features, then look it up online. Of saws I've used, My Stihls and PoulanPros have been inboard, and my echoes outboard. My echoes are small. Dunno if anything changes when you go up in size.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
Saws with the outboard clutch are generally called spur drive and with the inboard clutch are called rim sprocket drive. Those rim sprockets are cheap and replaceable and are usually recovered for the bigger saws.

Spur vs Rim sprockets are not a function of inboard or outboard clutches. There are plenty of Husqvarna saws with outboard clutches which came with rim sprockets from the factory. Generally, only their smaller saws or those in the homeowner category have the spur sprockets.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »

Spur vs Rim sprockets are not a function of inboard or outboard clutches. There are plenty of Husqvarna saws with outboard clutches which came with rim sprockets from the factory. Generally, only their smaller saws or those in the homeowner category have the spur sprockets.
I stand corrected, thank you.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woodland mills clutch upgrade ??? bigger engine, but what clutch?

Started by mattyo5 on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post August 23, 2016, 10:05:04 PM
by larrydown60
xx
Winch-line Hook, ring type vs. sleeve type

Started by CuddleBugFirewood on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 12:25:58 PM
by lumberjack48
xx
To clutch or not to clutch