iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS-260 ignition module

Started by BOB K., August 23, 2021, 09:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOB K.

I have a Stihl MS260 with no spark. Checked everything so now I am looking to get a new one. Is one brand better then another as there are so many that offer the coil? Is there a good source to buy from? I use this saw for my home.  Thank you  

sawguy21

Welcome aboard! Suck it up and go OEM, in my experience most aftermarket are more trouble than they are worth. Did you try it with the switch disconnected and a known good plug?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BOB K.

I hace disconnected  the switch and tried several new plugs, no spark. The part# I found for it is 0000-400-1300 if I am correct. I search that # and every opther brand comes up as OEM replacement.

Mad Professor

That is the "universal" Stihl coil that came on many saws, should be very easy to find a good used one.

As mentioned get out an ohm meter and and test the lead from your coil to switch and to ground.

Does your coil have ~ 0.012" to flywheel?

Is the the high tension lead to the plug good?  No bare insulation and spring inside the boot that connects the plug O.K.?

BOB K.

Thanks for the info, I am home with COVID so it will be a few days before I can get back testing it. Do you know what the ohm specs should be? Also know a good online place to order OEM parts?
Thanks, 
Bob

sawguy21

Stihl will not allow their dealers to sell online. You may find a dealer who will accept an order by phone or e-mail.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tacotodd

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 24, 2021, 12:40:59 PM
Stihl will not allow their dealers to sell online. You may find a dealer who will accept an order by phone or e-mail.

But don't count on it. That's not a sure fire way to go. It'd better to see the dealer & try to take the old pieces with you. Parts guy for 30yrs speaking here.
Trying harder everyday.

Mad Professor

Quote from: BOB K. on August 24, 2021, 12:27:49 PM
Thanks for the info, I am home with COVID so it will be a few days before I can get back testing it. Do you know what the ohm specs should be? Also know a good online place to order OEM parts?
Thanks,
Bob
I was just asking you to check coil kill wire/switch to ground and the Hi lead to the plug.
Not sure what internal resistance should be?  Hi lead to plug should not be O-low ohms to ground either.
There are LOTS of used coils that will fit (028, 029/039/290/310/390, 036/360, 038,044/440......) . Coil wire leads may vary in length.
arboristsite.com and Outdoor Power Equipment Forum have forums for used chainsaw parts.

Thank You Sponsors!