iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw bar length

Started by Guydreads, August 27, 2021, 10:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guydreads

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I posted. I want to get a new bar, and I'm pretty sure as to what brand I want to get, I just want opinions on bar length. I run a Jonsered 2071 Turbo, so it could run up to (technically) a 36 incher. Not really interested in something that big. I'm going to be cutting smaller limbs some, not much as I have smaller saws that are easier on the back for that. Mostly 12-20 inch logs with an occasional 26-30 incher. I don't really know what size I should do, so any opinions would be appreciated.

btulloh

HM126

sawguy21

That would be a good choice, the saw is nicely balanced and has the power to handle it. Cut the larger logs from both sides when necessary. Yes, a 36" will fit but there is no point.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

20 to 24 sounds good.  I run a 25 on my 046 mag.  I have a 20 and 36 I rarely use on it.  I run a 20 on my 261.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

realzed

I too put a 20" bar on my 261..
Makes it easier on my back to reach down for grounded logs when cutting up firewood and as much as many say "20" is too big for that saw" it works quite well..
I like most, seldom ever bury the entire length of any bar completely in wood anyway - and even if I did the 261 has the power to pull a 20 easily from my past experiences with hard maple..  
I personally consider any longer bar a bit safer when it comes to kickback as well, verses how quick a shorter bar could 'turn' on you..

petefrom bearswamp

Back when I was much younger and could bend over without any discomfort, I ran 16" and 18" bars
went to 20" about 20 yrs ago, much better on the back and handles everything I cut but I rarely cut anything over 20" diameter
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Guydreads

Ok. Sounds like 24 is the answer. I'll post pics of the new bar at some point.

axeman2021

On my smaller Sthil 211 i run a 16 inch bar&chain on my larger Sthil 261 i run a 18 inch bar&chain.

barbender

I run a 20" or 24" on my 2171, either one works quite nicely.
Too many irons in the fire

Old saw fixer

For a long time I kept my bar lengths short, appropriate to the power and general use of each size saw.  For instance, a 16 b&c on the 261CM and my 036Pro was bought with a 16 b&c.  I'd like to put an 18 or 20 inch set on the 261CM, a 20 inch light set on the 036Pro.  I am coming to realize it's about reach, not as much as the size of the wood being cut.  I do more work cutting field edges back and thinning removing smaller stems from the wood lot than cutting logs.  I seldom need my 462CM 25", but it is handy with large blown down or just fallen down trees. I just "had" to have it!
     Small wood, small saw but don't bend down so far!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Thank You Sponsors!