iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log identification

Started by VB-Milling, September 08, 2021, 03:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Hoping to ID this species.  It smells sweet when milled.
Southeast Virginia

HM126

low_48

No leaves, no natural color left, no clean end grain. You like making it tough!

moodnacreek

I see a pruned knot so it's a yard tree. Kinda white oak looking bark.  A nice fresh saw cut on the surface and the end grain would make it possible to id.

mike_belben

white oak thats been on the ground a spell. 
Praise The Lord

WDH

I think Mood and Mike are right about white oak. In the first pic down at 6:00 on the clock face, I see the stippling of the medullary rays.  A simple look at the end grain will confirm if this is correct. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VB-Milling

I'll make a fresh saw cut this afternoon.  Doesn't smell like the other white oak I've been milling.

Everything I have to mill are yard trees that have been down for between 6 weeks to 12 months so no leaves on anything unfortunately.  Going forward, I want to be more careful about labeling and inventory.
HM126

VB-Milling

So I never cut a fresh end, but the guy I got it from swears its hickory.  I need to cut a fresh end later today.
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: VB-Milling on September 29, 2021, 12:05:21 PM
So I never cut a fresh end, but the guy I got it from swears its hickory.  I need to cut a fresh end later today.

HM126

btulloh

Still looks like WO. Definitely not hickory. 

The beaver that chewed that off needs to be taught how to make a smooth cut.  ;D
HM126

VB-Milling

We're gonna call it WO and I'm going to go sharpen my chain  :D

I guess I have no hickory 
HM126

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Quote from: VB-Milling on September 08, 2021, 03:27:03 PM
Hoping to ID this species.  It smells sweet when milled.
Southeast Virginia

Looking at your first picture:
I'd say your sawing speed was steady and you have a blade that is missing some tooth points.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

There have been a few Walnut trees that drop Hickory nuts, so not a surprise to find acorns under a Hickory.   Heck, I even had a customer whose oaks shed needles, but that story involves a Game Warden and the beginning of a search party.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I have been called to buy a whack of the "hickory-walnut".  

Thank You Sponsors!