iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue saws

Started by Mainecoast, September 20, 2021, 09:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainecoast

I'm
Seeing a lot of adds on Craigslist for an off brand of saw. It's all blue with a bird logo. They saw they're fully interchangeable with Stihl and husky. Are these worth looking at?

Southside

Holzfforma - Chinese made.  Tread at your own risk.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

They are  cheap knockoffs with poor quality metal, rough castings and sloppy tolerances. There is also little or no support. They MAY be ok for occasional use but don't expect performance and reliability. Buyer beware. The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom King

Blue is not the new Orange.

teakwood

Everybody buying that blue crap is helping the chinese steal more technology from reputable, long existing companies who invested millions in research and technology so they can sell us a good product.

If they would give me a blue saw for free i would drive over it with my excavator, sorry for the rant.  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Mainecoast

I didn't realize they were Chinese. I suppose I'll stay far away. I'm happy to pay for a nice saw..I'm only looking to add two or three saws. 

I need a smaller one for limbing and my wife to use and then a couple larger back ups. I only have a 555 auto tune at the moment. 

axeman2021

Stay with Stihl it will be money well spent.

sawguy21

Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo are the only reputable manufacturers of quality saws left, the market is geared toward the consumer who is only concerned about price.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mainecoast

I have a stihl brush cutter and it's been great so far. But The husky saw has also been great. I made another post about pre-emissons saws. I'm thinking I'll pick up one or two older proven saws with a couple parts saws. This being said the 555 has only needed to go to the shop once for service after 8 years. 

Spike60

Plus, those 3 brands all have parts and service support. Something that pretty much doesn't exist with most of that Chinese stuff. Lotta people don't consider that until they need something. And it doesn't have to be a big something.

Last Saturday morning, a guy comes in to buy a spark plug for some odd chinese engine on a pressure washer. Strange plug we've never sold, and nobody around here has it. Asks can we order him one. No, but we can order 10, which is how they are packaged, and we don't want the other 9. Wasn't smiling when he left. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

bluthum

The knock offs are a whole 'nother animal vs. name brands.

If you buy one consider it a hobby to keep it running cause you are on your own.

My opinion is that the Chinese aren't stealing any thing much as they are older designs and the quality for sure doesn't rival the original products.

Just say no imhop.... 

Sauna freak

My neighbor bought one of the 371 "clones" and it didn't even make it through 1 season of firewood for his OWB before suffering catastrophic failure.  On the bright side, he was able to recoup his initial cost at the expense of time selling the parts that didn't grenade on E-bay.

Buy a second-hand saw at the pawn shop and take your chances if you need cheap.  Even with a trip to the shop, if it says Jred (older than 2012), Husky, Stihl or Echo, it will be a better value.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Thank You Sponsors!