iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sapling ID

Started by jeeper9574, September 22, 2021, 08:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeeper9574

We have a few of these showing up around the farm but I can't find any mature trees that look similar. From what I can tell this could be a swamp white oak or another type of oak?  I would like to transplant a few of these if they are. Thank you

WDH

Black oak.  Quercus velutina.  The shade leaves and young immature lower leaves are blobby like that.  

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25171.msg359793#msg359793
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jeeper9574

Thank you! This is likely the parent tree which matches with Black Oak. This is a yard tree that has the lower branches trimmed off so I don't see many shade leaves. Thanks for the help and link to the other thread.

WDH

Yes, that is exactly right.  Acorns and sun leaves are exactly right. 

https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=39

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

Is it common knowledge they have shade leaves? I had them on my property, and I only stumbled on it by accident trying to find exactly what kind of white oak I had. It didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I used to have a big black oak, so it made sense, but I never saw anything that didn't look like red oak leaf on that tree.

WDH

The shade leaves and sun leaves are different, so the amount of light seems to affect leaf shape. The blobby leaves have more surface area and nature probably designed it that way.  

The variable leaf shape can make this species confusing to identify unless you look carefully at all the characteristics.  For this reason I call it the "Jester". 

mike_belben

Is that why a 1" dbh poplar can have 10" wide leaves in a low light situation? 
Praise The Lord

WDH

Yes.  Adaptations to compete.  The plant world is a dog-eat-dog world with intense competition. 

WV Sawmiller

Bloby leaves? 

Dog eat dog world - Go Dawgs. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Next time you see a black oak, look for the blobby shade leaves.  When the Dawgs play Auburn, look for a Plainsman, or a War Eagle, or a Tiger.  It is all so confusing. 

bluthum

That leaf variation is a fine example of why just one characteristic isn't a good way to positively i.d. a plant. Bark is another example. My plant tax prof was fond of saying "by their fruits ye shall know them". 

mike_belben

Thats a pretty old saying.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Quote from: bluthum on September 24, 2021, 04:29:30 PM
That leaf variation is a fine example of why just one characteristic isn't a good way to positively i.d. a plant. Bark is another example. My plant tax prof was fond of saying "by their fruits ye shall know them".
What is really interesting is the picture of a tree taken 1.5 light years distant from the tree and posted on the Internet with the question, "what kind of tree is this? :D

bluthum

Yeah, it's just a tree,  how hard could it be to positively i.d.? Way less than 100,000 known species on our planet, anyone should know them at a glance. Haha.

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on September 22, 2021, 12:04:04 PM
Is that why a 1" dbh poplar can have 10" wide leaves in a low light situation?
Red maple
Does this too
A1

Thank You Sponsors!