iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

084/088 Clutch cover

Started by 421Altered, December 02, 2021, 10:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

I have rebuilt a run over 084 over the last couple of years.  I recently ordered a clutch cover, part # 1124 648 0460 C.  I also ordered the inner guide plate, and outer side plate.  I got them today, but, when trying to put the outer side plate onto the clutch cover, I'm running into a problem.  My saw did not come with a clutch cover so I don't know exactly how it goes together.  But, using the illustrated drawing that I have in a rather old Stihl manual, it showed the plastic bumpers and inner guide plate both being mounted on the clutch cover.  But, when I tried to put the guide plate over the plastic bumpers, the guide plate would not seat properly.  But when I removed the plastic bumpers, it fit perfectly.  None of my other Stihl saws use an outer side plate, so, I'm at a loss.  So, do you use one or the other?  Or what am I doing wrong?

Tacotodd

Pics of the offending pieces of question (and that manual page) may provide the information that WE need to help you with an answer for your question. If it's possible then I'd like to know just so "I" know. Pics by themselves are so helpful to answering these types of questions (as you know). @421Altered , I hope that this will ultimately get you some help from someone.
Trying harder everyday.

421Altered

Taco, I 100% agree on pics, however, I'm not a computer person, and I have tried to post pics before, and I just can't.  I wish I could.

421Altered

I know it's  got to have a simple solution.  I'm stumped.  I'm a pretty good mechanic, I've built all kinds of engines, most are still running!!  Lol.  The outer side plate without the white plastic bumpers, fits like a glove where it is supposed to go.  All my other Stihl chain saws only use the white plastic bumper's on the clutch cover, they do not use a outer side plate.  I've got a 024,032,038,064, ms250, ms 261 cm, ms 361.  Maybe the 084/088 can use either the outer side plate or the white plastic bumpers but not both?

lxskllr

I'm just looking at the ipl, and have no first hand experience, but it looks like everything gets used. I'd verify the part numbers you have. Perhaps there's some that are very close for a different saw, but not exactly the same, so it'll bolt up right, but clearances are off.

421Altered

That's what it looks like on my ipl too.  That's whats sorta confusing me I guess.  My ipl is very old, but, the side plates part numbers are the same as the one's I just got from my Stihl dealer.  The clutch cover is a new modern one that I also just got from my Stihl dealer.  The part numbers don't match on that one.  I may just do a little experimenting.  Try it with just plastic bumpers, and try it with just the outer guide plate.  
  I was hoping that guys on here that mill with 084/088's would chime in.  I don't know anybody around where I live that has a 084/088, ms 880 saw, so I can't go have a look.  My dealer doesn't keep them is stock either.

Thank You Sponsors!