iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some kind of Cedar?

Started by Poquo, May 06, 2022, 07:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poquo

Thought this was a Dawn Redwood until I cut it.

Looking at pictures online it resembles an Alaskan Yellow Cedar to my untrained eye.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Poquo

All I have to go by is the log and lumber, I'm cutting at a lot clearers dump site. The log resembled a Japanese Cedar or Dawn Redwood, but the color and smell when cutting were wrong. Hardly any odor while cutting.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WDH

Pretty sure that is what it is.  A very common ornamental tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Poquo

Thanks again WDH. I like cutting the oddball logs to see what's inside.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

SwampDonkey

Clearing job logs are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get inside. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

@customsawyer cut one a few weeks ago.  Maybe he will post some pics. 

caveman

I failed miserably when trying to identify the one at Customsawyer's.  The bark and taste of the wood had me thinking cypress- then Furby showed us some different looking needles.

Another clue that I missed was the Made in China note written on the end of the log.

Nice looking slabs, Poquo.
Caveman

Poquo

Thanks Caveman, I'll make something out of them once they dry, maybe a book matched tabletop.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

customsawyer

It is interesting that I don't remember ever having sawed this kind before but after cutting the one folks are discussing from the project. I had another come in this week.
This is the one that landed here about a month ago. The lumber was nice. Looked about like ERC with out the red. I will also show what helped Danny ID this one.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

You are giving up my secrets :)

Poquo

Here's a picture of the log.

I still have about 2 feet of the butt end I'm going to cut into cookies.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

moodnacreek

Eastern red, Atlantic white, Northern white and Dawn redwood logs have all been in my yard at the same time. One time I had a fat white cedar dropped here and when i sawed it, it was pure white all the way through. No idea what that was.

Unclefish

Looks like a big white cedar. Definitely not eastern red. I built a boat with white cedar and epoxy. Easy to work with doesn't shrink much. Alot interior walls of log homes done very nicely with white cedar paneling.  Not a good cedar like the reds for outside use. 

Thank You Sponsors!