iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk, 2022

Started by Magicman, June 06, 2022, 07:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

No offense to the great state of Texas and the brisket down there BUT Risin' Smoke in South Hill, VA (a little hole in the wall place in a small town close the NC line) has the best brisket I've ever eaten - and by a long shot.  Dry rubbed and smoked to perfection, falls apart by itself. Not swimming in sauce, unless you add some. (why do that?).  

Of course they do excellent job on the pork butts too.  And well known for the pies they make.  Take one of those home with you too!

HM126

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JD Guy

JD Guy

Quote from: btulloh on October 27, 2022, 07:16:51 PM
No offense to the great state of Texas and the brisket down there BUT Risin' Smoke in South Hill, VA (a little hole in the wall place in a small town close the NC line) has the best brisket I've ever eaten - and by a long shot.  Dry rubbed and smoked to perfection, falls apart by itself. Not swimming in sauce, unless you add some. (why do that?).  

Of course they do excellent job on the pork butts too.  And well known for the pies they make.  Take one of those home with you too!
Would love to visit them! I must admit that one of my sons and I can smoke Boston Butts pretty *DanG good 😊 (at least those that eat it seem to like it).
Son can do a pretty fair brisket too, I don't seem to be able to stay with a brisket as long as it takes though...not quite patient enough 🤠

Magicman

Marty's work was calling him (self employed construction company) so we had to cut the trip short with still 4 days of season left.  There was snow coming and we missed that too.  :-X

Both Ben & Luke hunted with Marty each day and they saw over 100 Elk, 50 the first morning.  They saw probably 20 legal bulls and a some less than 100 yards.  One "300" class bull completely circled with cows but nothing ever worked out for a shot.  Uncertainty is always a certainty regarding the kill but that did not kill the hunt.   ;D

The trip was a success watching and experiencing Ben & Luke's excitement each day as they described that day's activities.  

Our meals included spaghetti & meat sauce, pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, roast beef/gravy, Alfredo shrimp, prime rib, various cooked veggies, and peaches/pears so we did OK with food.   food6

We are already planning next years hunt.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AlpineCutter

Hey Magic Man, it was great seeing you and Marty out here and meeting Ben and Luke. Hope you guys enjoyed the trip and the hunt. Sorry you had to head back early.

SwampDonkey

smiley_thumbsup Glad you had a great time with the family and were successful on your hunt.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

Saw a few racks in the back of pickups today on 70 and they all had snow remains still on them heading east in Kansas. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Glad you guys had a successful hunt. Sorry you did not get an elk. Maybe next year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yes, it was nice meeting up with AlpineCutter and sharing some time together. 

I don't know how the snowstorm affected the area where we were, but I am sure it got dumped on. 

This was our first good view of the Rockies as we headed West.

We are setting our camp up.

Marty sent me this On-X screenshot when they were on the tip top of an 11,000' mountain.

Packing and then unpacking is always a chore.  We unloaded and sorted out most of the clothes, gear, etc. today.  Gotta remember to take the batteries out and then pack everything in mouse proof containers.  Yup, been there with both of the above items.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

A lot like the scenery around Calgary. That flat land prairie, then rolling foot hills with the beginnings of a forest, and boom, big tall mountains behind.  Look at the snow up there. :snowball:

Been unusually mild for November up here. Usually the woods roads turn to slime by now with freeze and thaw cycles every day. :D Still dry and hard as cement here on the dirt roads.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Glad a good time was had by all of you.
Quality time with son and grandsons is priceless.
I never saw those numbers of elk on any of my hunts except on the National Elk Refuge outside Jackson WY in 2010 when I saw literally thousands but most the size of ants in the far distance
Was lucky enough to shoot a cow on the last day of that hunt.
Makes me want to go again if Im not chair bound by the time I draw.
How difficult is the draw these days?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

It had taken Marty 9 years to draw his license.  Now he starts back over again....again.  I have 5 years toward another first choice license.

We will be looking toward other options next year.  Second season OTC license in other hunt units are always available.

SwampDonkey

When I went through Jasper, Alberta in 1997 there were big horn and elk all over the mowed lawn in the village. Like a heard of cattle. :) It was April and no snow at all.

firefighter ontheside

Looked like a great trip Lynn.  I'm not a hunter, but I would love to go on an elk hunt just to get to spend some time in the mountains like that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

snobdds

Colorado has the weirdest system for drawing tags.  I never understood how you had to wait years before enough "points" were built up to get lucky. 

The area where my cabin is a draw only option.  I have probably drew it 9 of the last 10 years.  I basically expect to draw each year.  

Glad you had a good hunt.  

I remember the pack and unpack parts well.  Sometimes it seems there is more prep and clean than actual hunting time. But that too is sometimes fun. 

barbender

As I wrote before, the area I hunt in Wyoming, as a non-resident, took 9 points to draw last year. I think 8 points may have given you a 30% chance, and 7 points gave you zero chance of drawing, on the preference side. Wyoming allots 75% of the non-resident tags to the preference point drawing, and 25% to a random drawing. So you do always have a chance to draw, even without any points. But it is very low.

I will probably be 50 years old the next time I draw a bull tag for that area. I hope I still have what it takes to get a bull out there. It is either wide open with people everywhere, or horse country. And I don't have horses😊 
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Quote from: snobdds on November 07, 2022, 10:44:02 AMI remember the pack and unpack parts well. Sometimes it seems there is more prep and clean than actual hunting time. But that too is sometimes fun.
That is the full speed mode that I have been in this morning.  All camping/hunting gear has been removed from the truck and 5th wheel and is in the cargo trailer and will be hauled back to the Cabin and properly stored later.

The sawmilling tools, etc. are now loaded onto the truck and it is ready to go.  I piggybacked the sawmill battery in the 5th wheel so I will move it back to the sawmill this afternoon.

I have 14 customers patiently waiting for me to get my sawing act back together.  I almost hate to make that first call.  :-X

petefrom bearswamp

Now its back to treating your sawdust sickness.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Yup, she fired up like she wants to make some sawdust.  I have not sawed since September 30th at the sand box.  Actually I am trying to follow through with my "slowing down" plans.  ;D

I'll make a few calls tonight and see who has an itch that needs scratching.  ::)

doc henderson

:o :o :o :o WATCH OUT Ms. PAT!!!!   8) 8) 8)   :snowball:   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I'm gonna try to get rid of some small stuff before I get hung up on a biggun.

One customer has a broken tractor in the shop so I moved on to the next two.  Looks like it will be ERC lumber Friday and then ERC "half log" steps on Saturday.

Thank You Sponsors!