iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Licking stick

Started by Jeff, August 11, 2022, 08:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

newoodguy78

Is it just me or does that look like a double beam on his left side?

Magicman

I don't think that it is just you.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

Quote from: newoodguy78 on October 18, 2022, 06:21:04 AM
Is it just me or does that look like a double beam on his left side?

Jeff

I've had some small bucks start showing up on the one licking stick, but have not seen and big boys around here. With the work I've put in up here and food prices, I aint waiting to kill antlers. A legal buck comes by and he will be donating to the cause.

SwampDonkey

All I see is does around here, and we have buck only hunts.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Have some good results of the mock scrape branch that hangs from a walnut tree branch. Also, the wood stake in the ground to keep a doe decoy upright still attracts a sniff and a lick. 
Think the hanging branch elicits the smells and scents left by bucks, and it drew the attention of three bucks caught on video camera. Put them together in this video to show some buck activity of three nice bucks pushing and shoving each other around, but still at night. 

I use the Rumble format instead of YouTube, so hope this link is available to watch. They are not monetized. 

https://rumble.com/v1oihex-bucks-rattling-horns.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Here is a better picture of the guy on the licking stick. Do you notice it's a rope 😂. I would say the date was off on the other picture 

Walnut Beast

How are you getting along with the Reveal camera Jeff?

Jeff

Good, but I would be better served to go out and move them from where they are. Rather than scouting movement now, I think ill deploy them so I know when deer are at a certain location or not.

SwampDonkey

I've not seen any tracks around the stick I put up, this year. No deer at all on the trails. The bull moose hasn't been around since last month. I'm cutting wood down in that area so probably scared stuff off, mainly fir.

thecfarm

Maybe scared the moose away, but doubt the deer.
Deer like it when I am cutting wood.
Not many moose on my land. 
I did see one early summer. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

Around here, look for where deer have pawed up a scrape under low hanging branches of apple trees and one of those branch tips will be chewed up (a licking branch). I think I've read that if you clip off that branch and hang it in another area, that all the local deer show an intense interest in the scent of strange deer.

beenthere

Just hanging a branch has worked for me, to create interest and a scrape. And didn't have to be over a trail. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Put up 2 last sunday, havent checked yet
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!